In case you missed it, here were the top sports stories on FOX Sports Florida from Friday, August 23.
* By throttling the Yankees in St. Petersburg, the Rays showed that, when their pitching and hitting are clicking like this, there are few teams who can boast as well-rounded a team. Read More
* Four Rays hit home runs — led by Jose Lobaton blasting a three-run shot early — to help rookie right-hander Chris Archer beat the Yankees for the third time this season. Read More
* Adding outfielder David DeJesus — and, to a lesser extent, Delmon Young — shows the Rays’ savvy in building perhaps their deepest lineup as they gear up to make a run at the AL East title. Read More
Article continues below ...
* Tom Koehler had another solid outing against Colorado, but reliever Chad Qualls gave up two runs in the eighth inning as the Marlins fell to the Rockies in Miami. Read More
* Confirming what many fans had already assumed to be a certainty, FSU head coach Jimbo Fisher announced Friday that redshirt freshman Jameis Winston will be the team’s starting quarterback this season. Read More
* A witness at an Ohio trial says a man accused of a real estate fraud scam also ripped off a couple of Miami Heat players. Read More
* No. 10 Florida won’t have its top running back and best blocker in the season opener. Coach Will Muschamp ruled out running back Matt Jones and right guard Jon Halapio on Friday, saying neither will be ready to play next week against Toledo. Read More
* Though two starters will be out against Toledo, Gators head coach Will Muschamp says he expects most of his players who have been sidelined with injuries to be able to play in the season-opener next week. Read More
* Before the start of the Yankees final road series against Tampa Bay this season, soon-to-be-retired New York closer was presented with a sand sculpture by the Rays. Read More
* Micheal Barrow knows what it takes to be an impact linebacker at The U. “What I call the ‘Hurricane DNA’ — the speed, the toughness, the instincts, the commitment on being the best, the football smarts,” said Barrow, a former University of Miami linebacker before his 13-year NFL career. As the ‘Canes linebackers coach, Barrow’s “guys” will play a key role in the 4-3 defense trying to erase memories of last year’s unit that surrendered 30.5 points per game. Read More
* If there’s one bit of uncertainty about the Florida State defense, it’s up front. Florida State is replacing its entire starting front four after losing all of them to the NFL. Some fans and analysts will feel that the defensive line collectively is a question mark until they see the production in 2013. Read More
* Andrew Astleford’s weekly review of who’s running hot and cold around the majors. View Gallery
* The Orlando Magic and FOX Sports Florida have announced the 2013-14 local television broadcast schedule. For the second straight season, all Magic games will be televised exclusively on one channel in high definition: FOX Sports Florida. The network will televise 81 regular-season games and one preseason game. Read More