In case you missed it, here were the top sports stories on FOX Sports Florida from Tuesday, August 20.
* Catch the extended FOX Sports Live interview with Heat superstar LeBron James. Watch Now
* Jacob Turner allowed 10 hits and walked five as the Marlins couldn’t hold off the Dodgers and Yasiel Puig — in a pinch-hitting role Tuesday — in a home loss in the second game of their four-game set in Miami. Read More
Article continues below ...
* Yunel Escobar had three hits and Alex Cobb pitched well until the seventh inning as the Rays laid 15 hits on the Orioles to take the second game of their three-game series in Baltimore. Read More
* According to The Associated Press, the Dolphins released cornerback Richard Marshall, as the team is likely to go with a combination of its new additions of Brent Grimes and rookies Will Davis and Jamar Taylor, and returning eight-year pro Dimitri Patterson. Read More
* Florida Gators head coach Will Muschamp was able to perform what he says is one of his favorite activities after Tuesday’s practice, when he surprised two walk-on players by telling them they had been placed on scholarship. Read More
* With Dustin Keller lost for the season, the Dolphins will look to their handful of young backup tight ends for someone to step up and produce. Read More
* The Jaguars received a welcome sight on Tuesday, when wide receiver Cecil Shorts III returned to the practice field a day after being medically cleared. Read More
* Though the President honored the unbeaten 1972 Dolphins on Tuesday, there were some members of that team who shunned the invitation because of their political beliefs. Read More
* Despite setting franchise records for passing yards and touchdowns in 2012, Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman is still catching criticism for his play. The latest barbs were fired by Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton, who didn’t mince words when criticizing Freeman’s play. Read More
* Miami’s Richie Incognito said Tuesday he was “moving past” an incident in which Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith ripped off the Dolphins guard’s helmet and swung it, narrowly missing Incognito’s head. FOXsports.com reported Monday the NFL had obtained exclusive video of a flagrant incident in Saturday night’s Texans-Dolphins preseason game and that Miami head coach Joe Philbin had already contacted the league about a possible fine and/or suspension. Read More
* With Tuesday’s release of the Southeastern Conference slate of games, UF’s schedule is now complete and for the second straight year the Gators have one of the most challenging schedules in their history. Aside from the annual home-and-home series with powerhouse Kentucky, Florida has a four-game stretch starting Thanksgiving weekend against Florida State, Connecticut, Kansas and Memphis. Read More
* The SEC released its schedule Tuesday, thus putting the finishing touches on the Gators’ 2013-14 slate, which looms as one of the most attractive, competitive and, yes, difficult in program history. Read More
* Roberto Aguayo realized after his freshman year of high school that he had a strong enough leg to play Division I football. The scholarship offers poured in, and he chose Florida State. His family, most of them Seminoles fans, was happy. Others reminded him about the school’s history. Read More