Buzz: Runner refuses to wear No. 666
A Kentucky high school student refused to run in a regional cross-country race after she was assigned bib No. 666, according to LEX 18 in Lexington.
Whitley County High School junior Codie Thacker told the station that wearing the number, considered by some to be the “Mark of the Beast,” would have gone against her religious beliefs, and that she’d rather not run — giving up a chance to compete in the state championships — than wear 666.
"I didn’t want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX 18.
Thacker’s coach, Gina Croley, says she asked three different race officials to swap out Thacker’s bib for a new number, but each time, she says, she was denied.
In a response to LEX 18, however, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association said it was not made aware that the request was based on Thacker’s religious beliefs, and says it would have accommodated her had it known.
Now, for some links:
• Lindsey Vonn went on a nationally syndicated talk show and called Tiger Woods a dork.
• A Fairmont State player flipped the double-bird after fouling out against West Virginia.
• Victor Oladipo and Indiana softball player Shelby Gogreve sang “Ain’t No Sunshine” at an event at the school earlier this year, accompanied by a backing band also made up of IU athletes:
• Mack Brown reportedly found out about the hiring of his new AD on Twitter.
• So, what’s up with Mike Rice these days?
• If this doesn’t get you to watch Kansas State women’s basketball, I’m not sure what will:
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) November 5, 2013
• The St. Louis Cardinals want Chris Carpenter to stay with the team — in the front office.
• Who are the NBA players no one will pass to?
• This play was ruled a safety:
• Martin Brodeur might consider waiving his no-trade clause to be shipped to a contender.
• Jay-Z could be in trouble, accused of giving a $33,000 watch to Robinson Cano.
• Toronto Mayor Rob Ford wore a tie covered in NFL logos while admitting he smoked crack:
redskins, bengals end in tie pic.twitter.com/oY5NjmVBp1
— Jon Bois (@jon_bois) November 5, 2013
• By the way, that tie? Yeah, it’s really old.
• An arbitration panel ruled that Todd Haley and his wife owe more than $10,000 in dog boarding fees.
• So, about Wil Myers’ hair:
Another shot of Wil Myers and his Edward Scissorhands hair. pic.twitter.com/BSqHCdGAQQ
— Cork Gaines (@CorkGaines) November 5, 2013
• The stripes on Slovakia’s Olympic hockey jerseys are actually the lyrics to the country’s national anthem.
• Despite controversy, the AHL’s Rockford Ice Hogs are wearing Latino fiesta jerseys again for "Los Ice Hogs Night."
• The World Series re-created with toys is pretty awesome:
• Nick Saban’s agent said Texas is the only job Saban would leave Alabama to take.
• Bills fan wanted Kiko Alonso elected to every public office, and also probably shouldn’t have taken a picture of his ballot:
— #BuffaloBillsRV (@CircleThisWagon) November 5, 2013
• Some current and former Houston Texans players drove elderly people to voting sites to cast their ballots Tuesday.
• Looking to buy a Richie Incognito jersey? You won’t find one in the Dolphins’ official online store.
• Best or worst save ever? It’s tough to say:
• Oklahoma State and Florida State will kick off the 2014 football season with a game in Arlington.
• Texans coach Gary Kubiak is expected to return to the sideline in two weeks, when Houston hosts Oakland.
• The new SI cover features David Ortiz and a trio of Boston police officers:
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) November 5, 2013
• How much does a player’s home ZIP code have to do with reaching the NBA?
• Prince Amukamara said Monday that his bullying is not at all like Jonathan Martin’s.
• Chris Bosh announced the birth of his daughter, Dylan Skye Bosh:
• Chris Chelios says his Hall of Fame career almost didn’t happen.
• Phish wrote a song about Darius Washington and his missed free throws in the 2005 Conference USA basketball tournament.
• From earlier in the week, a fan attacked a mascot during an on-ice contest at a minor league hockey game: