The Reds return home tonight to begin a three-game series with San Francisco. Here’s the latest news on the team;
• RHP Alfredo Simon has pitched five innings without allowing an unearned run. He’s allowed five hits, two walks and struck out four in that span. He allowed three runs over his first two appearances.
• LHP Aroldis Chapman finally walked a batter Sunday. He actually walked back-to-back hitters. The walks after Chapman had gone 9 2/3 innings with a walk and struck out 18.
Article continues below ...
Chapman at times last season couldn’t throw a strike. He walked 12 batters over a four-game, 1 1/3-inning stretch. “He had some things on his mind,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “That’s part of it. The difference in the concentration level when you have things on your mind and when your mind is clear is big. It’s a very delicate mental game. He’s more relaxed. He’s more engaging. He knows our society, our system better.”
• 2B Brandon Phillips got treatment on his left hamstring on the off day Monday. Phillips only played in one game in the Chicago series because of the hamstring and the cold weather.
• RHP Mat Latos makes his fourth start as a Red Tuesday night when the Reds open a three-game series with the San Francisco Giants. Latos allowed eight runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings in his last start.
• INF/OF Todd Frazier has a triple and a double in his last two pinch-hitting appearances. Frazier has made one start since being recalled from Triple-A Louisville, going 0-for-4.
• INF Willie Harris has really struggled, batting .077. He started at second base on Sunday and made an error. He also bunted back to the pitcher on a safety squeeze. The runner at third was out easily.