Brewers Wednesday: Another injury scare in San Francisco

Another injury overshadowed a good performance on the field, as Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks left the game in the eighth inning of Wednesday’s 6-1 victory with a strained left hamstring.

While the Brewers officially list Weeks as day-to-day, manager Ron Roenicke said a trip to the disabled list is likely. The club will wait to make a decision on Weeks until Thursday when they confer with team physician Dr. William Raasch.

Weeks appeared to have tripped over his own bat while running down the line after hitting into a groundball out in the eighth inning, but it’s hard to tell if he tripped or was injured trying to avoid the bat.

“He really doesn’t know,” Roenicke said when asked if Weeks tripped over the bat. “That’s what I heard, they said they saw the bat there, but I don’t know if that was why.”

If Weeks does have to go on the disabled list, the Brewers will likely bring Scooter Gennett back up from Triple-A Nashville. Gennett was optioned back to Nashville following Tuesday’s game, but should be able to get to San Francisco fairly quickly as the Sounds are currently in Colorado Springs.

Estrada impresses: Rushed back from a rehab assignment to fill a void in the starting rotation, right-hander Marco Estrada gave the Brewers all they could ask for in his first big league start in over two months.

The Brewers wanted Estrada to start at least one more time in the minor leagues before coming up, but they needed a starter Wednesday after Tom Gorzelanny was unable to go with a bruised left elbow.

Out since June 3 with a strained left hamstring, Estrada threw 47 pitches in 2 2/3 innings in his last rehab start and was on a pitch count of around 75 on Wednesday. Estrada gave Milwaukee five scoreless innings against the Giants and allowed just one hit, retiring the last 14 batters he faced.

“At first I felt a little weird out there,” Estrada said. “As I got going I got comfortable and felt better. I thought I made some good pitches, but also those guys hit some pretty good (pitches) and also mistakes that I made, and the defense was great today. Overall, I thought it went pretty well. That was my goal, to get at least through five.” 

Not knowing what to expect from Estrada, Roenicke was pleased with what he saw.

“Really good game,” Roenicke said.

“Command, I thought, was outstanding. Curveballs was down in the zone, fastball had good life on it. (He commanded it) in and out, up when he needed to. For him coming back and having two starts before this and only going 2 2/3 (innings in the last start), I thought it was really good.”

Estrada didn’t have a feel for his off speed pitches early in the game and did get away with a couple of changeups up in the zone, but felt as if he settled down as the game wore on. The final two months of the season are important for the right-hander, as his future with the team could be dependent on how he fares the rest of the way.

“I was obviously excited,” Estrada said. “Any time you get to pitch in a big league game you are excited. I tried not to show too much emotion out there, especially when I first got in. I just tried to keep it relaxed. It was great to be out there again. It’s been a long time. It felt really good. It’s just nice to be back.”

Follow Andrew Gruman on Twitter