BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– SALT LAKE CITY – The Warriors, playing smothering defense, have yet to lose in the playoffs and are in position to sweep the Jazz and reach the conference finals. Game starts 9 p.m.
– WASHINGTON – Star Celtics guard Isaiah Thomas is lobbying for more foul calls, with his team tied with the Wizards entering Game 5 of their second-round series Wednesday night.
– The San Antonio-Houston matchup has not been all that compelling. But the teams played four close games this season, so drama could await Tuesday night in Game 5.
– It’s not the kind of flopping seen in the NBA or soccer. ”Embellishment” in hockey is more subtle and a key part of the game despite the NHL’s efforts to crack down on it.
– PITTSBURGH – The Penguins have another chance in Game 6 to oust the Capitals. Washington avoided a second-round exit with three goals in the third period of Game 5. Game starts 7:30 p.m.
– NEW YORK – The Rangers return home Tuesday night, needing a Game 6 victory in the second round to stay alive against an Ottawa team buoyed by the play of Kyle Turris.
– An AP investigation finds that sexual assaults mischaracterized as hazing are embedded in team culture from elementary to high school. Coaches often fail to halt it or try to cover it up.
– CINCINNATI – The Yankees play the Reds in a game between first-place teams that have won five straight. New York is coming off an 18-inning victory over the Cubs. Game starts 7:10 p.m.
– BALTIMORE – The Nationals and Orioles renew their neighborhood rivalry. Bryce Harper, hitting .376, is to return for Washington after three straight games. Game starts 7:05 p.m.
– TALLADEGA, Ala. – The under-30 crowd is having its say in NASCAR. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. is among the drivers very much part of it and leading a resurgence for Roush Fenway Racing.
– MADRID – Maria Sharapova plays Eugenie Bouchard in the second round of the Madrid Open. Bouchard has been highly critical of the Russian’s return to tennis after a doping ban.
– GENEVA – Los Angeles and Paris, both seen as winning options for the 2024 Games, await Olympic inspectors this week.
– MADRID – The Champions League semifinals resume this week with Real Madrid and Juventus looking to defend big first-leg victories.
– CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Ben Boulware, the heart of the defense for national champion Clemson, went undrafted and signed with the Panthers. ”I’m in the business of proving people wrong,” he says.
– KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee’s Christian Coleman is one of the nation’s most promising sprinters. He’s also something of a hit on social media.