BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
– AUGUSTA, Ga. -Bubba Watson seized control of the Masters with a dazzling second round to lead by three strokes at the halfway point. Defending champion Adam Scott, the ageless Fred Couples and others lurk going into Saturday’s third round.
– LAS VEGAS – Manny Pacquiao has a second chance to prove his superiority over Timothy Bradley. Nearly two years after the unbeaten Bradley edged the Filipino congressman in a much-criticized split decision, the welterweights meet again at the MGM Grand Garden.
– PHILADELPHIA – Union plays Minnesota in the for the NCAA hockey championship.
– HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Tapiture, after winning the Southwest Stakes and finishing second at the Rebel Stakes, is the early favorite at Saturday’s $1 million Arkansas Derby. The colt faces a top field that includes the Bob Baffert-trained Bayern and D. Wayne Lukas’ Strong Mandate.
– LEXINGTON, Ky. – Bobby’s Kitten is the early favorite for the $750,000 Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland, which awards 170 points toward the Kentucky Derby including 100 to the winner. Fourteen horses will run in the Grade 1 event over 1 1/8 miles.
– STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – Penn State coach James Franklin is one the sideline for the first time since he was hired in December for the annual spring football game.
– DARLINGTON, S.C. – Kevin Harvick will start up front as he seeks his first Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway on Saturday night- HOT SPRINGS, Ark. –
– ANN ARBOR, Mich. – After leading Michigan to a team title Friday, Sam Mikulak returns for individual finals in four events, including the parallel bars, which he won last season.
– FRISCO, Texas- FC Dallas, the only unbeaten MLS team, plays the first of consecutive home games when it hosts Seattle.