Adrian Peterson blasts refs, Ravens fans on Twitter

Adrian Peterson left Sunday’s game early with an ankle injury and even reportedly left the stadium for a while to have a magnetic resonance imaging test on the ankle, but he saw enough to have a take on the Minnesota Vikings’ inexplicable 29-26 loss in Baltimore.

Peterson, who left early in the second quarter after Ravens linebacker Arthur Brown fell on his foot making a tackle, took to Twitter to share his frustration after Minnesota lost another game in the final minute after questionable calls by officials.

“Wow talking about bad officiating & the worst fan base I’ve ever experience! They threw snow balls the entire 4q like lil kids. Smh,” Peterson wrote on his Twitter page minutes after the Vikings lost on a Joe Flacco touchdown to Marlon Brown with four seconds left.

The game was played in a snowstorm, creating a unique atmosphere, but the final few minutes added to the strange scene. After a combined 19 points through the first 57 minutes, 55 seconds, Minnesota and Baltimore traded late-game blows with five touchdowns in the final 2:05.

The Ravens’ game-winning drive was aided by a defensive pass interference call on Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway. Greenway was covering tight end Dennis Pitta, who fell on the play and appeared to slip on the snowy turf. The pass was intercepted by Minnesota safety Andrew Sendejo, which would have essentially ended the game. But the call gave Baltimore another chance and it paid off three plays later when Flacco connected with Brown for the game-winning touchdown.

Baltimore fans also celebrated a Pitta with 2:05 left and a Jacoby Jones 77-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

“So You just enjoying the game & the next thing you know ur hit in the face with a ball of ice correction not snowballs ICE BALLS,” Peterson tweeted a few hours later.

The Vikings also appeared to have a big call go against them in the first half when running back Toby Gerhart fumbled and was recovered by the Ravens. The play was originally called a fumble, but replay appeared to show Gerhart was down before the fumble. Yet, referee Peter Morelli stuck with the call on the field even after replay.

In his postgame press conference, Minnesota coach Leslie Frazier said he was told by officials the play was not clear enough to overturn.

Peterson, who entered the week as the league’s rushing leader, had 13 yards on seven carries before leaving. Frazier said Peterson has a right foot sprain and will have an MRI tomorrow. FOX sideline reporter Jennifer Hale reported that Peterson left the stadium during the game to undergo an MRI test at a local hospital, but Peterson had returned to the sideline later in the game out of uniform and wearing tennis shoes.

Follow Brian Hall on Twitter