Report: Cops found bloody cricket bat

Oscar Pistorius’ defense that he shot his girlfriend by mistake may be dashed by a report that Reeva Steenkamp’s skull was crushed and that a bloody cricket bat was found at the scene.

Police still are investigating, according to the City Press of South Africa, trying to determine how they believe the bat was used: as a weapon to assault Steenkamp, as an instrument of self-defense by the 29-year-old model, or as a means of breaking down the bathroom door by Pistorius. The paralympic sprint star claims he shot Steenkamp through the bathroom door, believing her to be an intruder.

Police sources told the paper that Steenkamp’s skull was "crushed" and that her injuries are being investigated to determine if they were caused by the cricket bat.

“There was lots of blood on the bat. Forensic tests will show whose blood it was,” said a source with inside knowledge of the case.

Police also are testing Pistorius’ blood for drugs and steroids, the paper reports, citing three sources close to the high-profile investigation.

Pistorius is being held at the Brooklyn Police Station in Pretoria and will apply for bail on Tuesday. On the same day, a memorial service will be held for Steenkamp in Port Elizabeth.

The paper’s sources described the state’s case against Pistorius as "rock solid" and ruled out the possibility that Steenkamp may have been mistaken for an intruder. Police have found no signs of forced entry, according to the report.

According to the City Press sources, this is what police have established so far:

Pistorius’ father responded to a late-night call from his son and arrived to find him carrying Steenkamp, still alive, downstairs where he unsuccesfully attempted to revive her. He allegedly told his sister Aimee that he had mistaken Steenkamp for a burglar.

Steenkamp was dressed in a nightie and from the appearance of the bed, both she and Pistorius had been in it that evening.

Police suspect Steenkamp was shot first, in the hip, in the bedroom, where a cartridge was found, and then fled to the bathroom, where she was shot in the head, arm and hand.

On Friday, Pistorius’ family and management released a statement in which they disputed the murder “in the strongest terms”.

“These are now live and active legal proceedings which must be allowed to take their course through the process of proper investigation by the police, evidence-gathering and through the local South African judicial system,” the statement read.