Reds closer helps Cincinnati area school get new locker room

Aroldis Chapman saved 36 games for the Reds in 2014. The Mount St. Joseph men's volleyball team was the beneficiary of another Chapman save recently.

Frank Victores/Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports

Aroldis Chapman recently made a generous donation to the men’s volleyball team at Mount St. Joseph University. The team was in need of a new locker room, and Chapman stepped in to help.

Chapman, who defected from Cuba in 2009 has befriended one of the players on the team– €”Cesar Trigo de Serrano, a senior from Miami, Florida whose parents are also from Cuba.

Chapman has been known to attend the team’s volleyball matches and heard that they were attempting to raise money for the new locker room. Chapman donated 80 percent of the cost of the renovation according to coach Ryan Lengerich. The team raised the other 20 percent on their own.

The renovations included new custom wood lockers and a new floor.

Watch the team see the renovations for the first time.

Chapman has saved 112 games for the Reds over the last three seasons, while being selected for the National League All-Star team each year. In 2012, Chapman finished 8th in Cy Young voting and 12th in National League MVP voting. He has been the subject of trade rumors this winter.