Wolves’ Cunningham arrested for second time in four days

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Dante Cunningham was arrested Thursday, missed Friday's game in Miami, played and started in Orlando on Saturday then was arrested again Sunday.

Tom Szczerbowski/Tom Szczerbowski-USA TODAY Sport

MINNEAPOLIS — For the second time in four days, Dante Cunningham is behind bars.

The Timberwolves forward was picked up by Medina police at 12:24 p.m. Sunday for allegedly making terroristic threats. He’s already been charged with felony domestic assault stemming from a Thursday morning incident in which a woman claiming to be his girlfriend said he tried to strangle her.

The team issued a statement Sunday afternoon. "The situation with Dante Cunningham is very fluid, and we continue to monitor all available information," it read. "We reiterate that the Minnesota Timberwolves do not condone the behavior described in the accusations. We continue to wait for the legal process to run its course and will have further comment when appropriate."

The Hennepin County Jail roster lists Cunningham as being held without bail.

According to USlegal.com, a terroristic threat is "a crime generally involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another, to cause evacuation of a building, or to cause serious public inconvenience, in reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience."

Cunningham spent Thursday night in jail for his first alleged offense. The woman said she and Cunningham have been having relationship problems, and an argument early Thursday morning caused him to leave their Medina residence. She claims to have locked the door behind him, but Cunningham returned shortly after, kicked the door in, grabbed her by the neck and slammed her into the wall.

The woman alleges she was strangled for 15-20 seconds before Cunningham dropped her and left the residence once again.

She then called 911, and Cunningham returned while Medina police were present and was taken into custody shortly after 4 a.m. Thursday. He was formally charged Friday and posted bail at $40,000, then flew Saturday to Florida to rejoin his teammates for their loss in Orlando.The NBA’s collective bargaining agreement allows players in potential trouble with the law to compete until the legal process is completed. The league also won’t hand down any punishment until that time.

Follow Phil Ervin on Twitter