Roy undergoes successful knee surgery

MINNEAPOLIS – Timberwolves shooting guard Brandon Roy underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday. The team deemed the surgery successful and said that he will be out for approximately a month.
The minimally invasive surgery was performed by Dr. David Fischer, the Timberwolves’ team doctor, at the TRIA Orthopaedic Center in Bloomington. Such procedures, which can be both exploratory and to clean up damage, tend to keep athletes out for at least a week, but Timberwolves president of basketball operations David Kahn made it clear on Monday that Roy’s recovery time would not be that of a typical athlete.
The surgery marks the seventh of Roy’s career, dating back to high school, and the Timberwolves determined that it was necessary in order to gauge what was wrong with his knee in the aftermath of bumping it in a preseason game on Oct. 26. After the initial incident, the knee improved, but in the past week to 10 days, Kahn said, such improvement had stopped. The team did not reveal how much, if any, cleanup of the joint was required.
The Timberwolves signed Roy to a two-year, $10.4 million deal this summer; only the first year and $5.2 million are guaranteed. He had previously retired due to chronic knee problems, and Roy’s knee issues flared up in the team’s final exhibition game on Oct. 26. He began the regular season, though, and played four games before leaving the Timberwolves’ Nov. 9 game against the Pacers at halftime with a sore right knee. He has not played since.
Roy is averaging 5.8 points, 2.8 rebounds and 4.6 assists. He started all five games in which he appeared and played between 15 and 30 minutes in each.
On Sunday, Roy was present at Timberwolves practice and spent a good deal of time on the trainer’s table. Although Rick Adelman lumped him into the group of players who didn’t do much, Roy was taking shots as the workout wrapped up.
The purpose of arthroscopy is to examine and treat damage through a tiny incision, which thereby minimizes recovery time. After the procedure, it usually takes a few weeks for swelling to go down, at which point athletes can begin easing into activity again. By undergoing the procedure, it would seem that Roy has not given up hope for his comeback, though the repeated setbacks make the chances of him succeeding seem increasingly slim.

Follow Joan Niesen on Twitter.