Couturier admits suffering concussion, remains sidelined for Flyers

Philadelphia Flyers forward Sean Couturier admitted on Tuesday that he suffered his first concussion of his career.
Len Redkoles/NHLI via Getty Images

Philadelphia Flyers forward Sean Couturier admitted to reporters on Tuesday that he suffered a concussion following a high elbow from Boston Bruins agitator Zac Rinaldo in last week's game.

Listed as day-to-day, Couturier will not play in Philadelphia's home contest against the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer. The 22-year-old Couturier, who sat out Saturday's 3-2 shootout victory over the New York Rangers, could be ready to return when the Flyers face the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.

While Rinaldo reportedly reached out to Couturier via text, the latter believes the former should have been suspended for the hit. Rinaldo, a former Flyer, received a five-minute major and a game misconduct and Philadelphia went on to post a 5-4 overtime victory over Boston.

The league explained its ruling in the following video and said Rinaldo's hit Wednesday was more of a body check than a clear, targeted head-shot.

The league also said it did not consider Rinaldo's previous history in its decision not to suspend Rinaldo, as it said a player's past history only affects a decision after the league deems a play worthy of supplemental discipline. Rinaldo has been suspended three times in five seasons for illegal hits.

(h/t Philadelphia Inquirer)