Hockey players sickened by fumes at rink

Nearly two dozen members of a Massachusetts college hockey team have fallen ill after a suspected case of nitrous dioxide poisoning at a Rhode Island rink.

A spokesman at Milton Hospital in Massachusetts says the 23 players on the Curry College team were held overnight and expected to be released Saturday.

Officials believe the poisoning was caused by fumes from a Zamboni machine used to prepare the ice during a hockey game Thursday against Johnson & Wales University at the Rhode Island Sports Arena.

On Friday morning, the Curry players began reporting to Milton Hospital with symptoms including dizziness, trouble breathing and coughing up blood.

Hospital spokesman Jason Bouffard says tests showed they were exposed to nitrous dioxide.

It doesn’t appear that any Johnson & Wales players fell ill.