PHOENIX (AP) Muhammad Ali, the magnificent heavyweight champion whose fast fists and irrepressible personality transcended sports and captivated the world, has died according to a statement released by his family. He was 74.
Ali suffered for years from Parkinson's disease, which ravaged his body but could never dim his larger-than-life presence. He was hospitalized earlier this week.
A towering figure in his prime, he still traveled and made appearances in his later years despite being muted by the thousands of punches he took during his remarkable career.
Article continues below ...
He beat the invincible Sonny Liston, fought a string of thrilling fights with Joe Frazier and stopped George Foreman in the ''Rumble in the Jungle'' in Zaire. But he paid a terrible price for the estimated 29,000 punches he took to his head during a career that made him perhaps the most recognized person in the world.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) – Star cornerback Aqib Talib will miss the Denver Broncos' trip to the White House on Monday after getting shot at a Dallas nightclub early Sunday morning.
Talib, who was shot in the lower right leg, wasn't expected to be released from a Dallas hospital until Monday, team spokesman Patrick Smyth said. So, he ''wont' be able to join the team for its trip to Washington,'' where the team will celebrate its Super Bowl 50 title, Smyth said.
Earlier, the Broncos said they had spoken with Talib and ''we are glad he is OK and will make a full recovery.''
Although he wasn't expected to require surgery, it's not known how much time, if any, Talib might have to miss because of his gunshot wound, which Smyth said was described as minor.
DETROIT (AP) – Australian driver Matt Mingay was still in serious but stable condition Sunday after having surgery for facial injuries.
Mingay crashed during a trucks race at Belle Isle on Saturday. His family said he had surgery Saturday night, according to a statement from the Stadium Super Truck Series. Mingay remained at Detroit Receiving Hospital.
Mingay's truck overturned during the third lap of the race, which was eventually suspended after a long delay. There was another SST race Sunday, and afterward, driver Paul Morris – another Australian – provided more details on Mingay's condition.
''He's lost a fair bit of his lower face, jaw and all his bottom teeth, but he has no permanent injuries,'' Morris said. ''His brain's intact, his spine's intact, so he's got a long road ahead of him, hopefully we'll get him out of here in the next couple of weeks, get him stabilized and get back to Australia and get his head rebuilt, and he'll be brand new.''
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) – A reporter's credentials were revoked during a UFC show after he reported that WWE star and former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar was close to fighting again for the organization.
MMAfighting.com's Ariel Helwani said on Twitter that he was escorted out of the UFC 199 show at the Forum before the main event, along with photographer Esther Lin and video director E. Casey Leydon.
Helwani's story on Lesnar appeared a few hours before the surprising return was made official. During the UFC 199 show, the UFC announced that Lesnar, mixed martial arts' biggest pay-per-view star, will fight at UFC 200 in Las Vegas next month.
Helwani posted that he only reported news, didn't do anything unethical and then was ''told we're banned for life.''
UFC spokesman Dave Sholler said the promotion believes that journalists should show professional courtesy by contacting the UFC for comment before reporting a story.
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) – Conor McGregor will get his rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC 202 in Las Vegas on Aug. 20.
The mixed martial arts promotion officially announced the matchup during the pay-per-view UFC 199 show at the Forum.
Diaz posted one of the biggest upsets in recent UFC history when he beat McGregor by submission in the second round at UFC 196 in March. Diaz (19-10) won the welterweight bout and ended the 15-fight winning streak of McGregor (19-3), the UFC featherweight champion fighting 25 pounds above his usual weight.
The fighters and the UFC have sparred over the terms of the rematch. The UFC initially scheduled it for the historic UFC 200 card in Las Vegas next month, but scrapped it in a dispute with the Irish superstar.
PALO ALTO, Calif. (AP) – A six-month jail term for a former Stanford University swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman is being decried as a slap on the wrist.
A California judge sentenced 20-year-old Brock Turner to six months in county jail and three years' probation after the woman who was assaulted read the court an emotional statement that has gone viral.
She described how the attack left her ''closed off, angry, self-deprecating, tired, irritable, empty.''
Prosecutors had asked for a six-year prison sentence.
Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky said in handing down the punishment that a longer sentence would have a ''severe impact'' on Turner.
Turner is a three-time All-American high school swimmer from Dayton, Ohio. He withdrew from Stanford after his January 2015 arrest.