Seattle LB Leroy Hill arrested

Seattle Seahawks starting linebacker Leroy Hill was arrested for

investigation of domestic violence in the Seattle suburb of

Issaquah over the weekend, just days after reaching a plea deal on

a marijuana charge in Georgia.

Hill was arrested by Issaquah police and booked into that city’s

jail early Sunday for investigation of assault in the fourth

degree/domestic violence.

According to a release from Issaquah police, officers responded

to a complaint of a domestic dispute late Saturday night at the

Hill residence. Officers determined there had been a dispute

between Hill and his girlfriend.

Police said Hill’s girlfriend had obvious marks and injuries

indicating an assault had occurred and she alleged Hill had caused

these injuries.

He was taken into custody without incident. Hill posted bail and

was released. Seattle starts a voluntary three-day minicamp on


“While we are still in the process of gathering information, we

are aware of the situation involving Leroy Hill and take these

issues very seriously,” Seahawks GM John Schneider said in a

statement late Monday afternoon. “We will wait to receive all the

facts before commenting further.”

Hill’s latest run-in with the law came less than two weeks after

he dealt with a marijuana charge in Georgia. On April 1, Hill

received 12 months of probation in Georgia after pleading guilty to

a charge of marijuana possession stemming from a January 2009

traffic stop in suburban Atlanta.

As part of his plea in Georgia, Hill agreed to complete an

outpatient drug and alcohol abuse counseling program and 30 hours

of community service.

Hill, who has started 61 of his 67 career games for Seattle,

must also pay fines in Georgia totaling $500. He is subject to

random drug testing. If he completes all the requirements in 12

months, he can petition the court to have the conviction erased

from his record under the jurisdiction’s conditional discharge


The 27-year-old Hill could be subject to testing and possible

discipline in the NFL’s confidential substance abuse program.

The Douglas County sheriff’s office said last year that Hill had

apparently fallen asleep behind the wheel at a major intersection

early on a Saturday morning. Officers found less than one ounce of

marijuana in the vehicle. Hill was released after posting a $1,500


Two days after the incident, Hill said he was embarrassed by

“the poor judgment I showed.”

The Seahawks then placed their franchise tag for 2009 on Hill to

keep him from leaving for free agency. He refused to sign an $8.3

million tender offer but eventually signed a six-year contract

worth a guaranteed $15.5 million. The deal could potentially be

worth $38 million.

Hill’s agent, Todd France, said last year that Seattle placing

the franchise tag on Hill showed the marijuana incident was behind

the Seahawks as of February 2009, and that his client remains a

valued member of the team that drafted him in the third round out

of Clemson in 2005.