Seahawks' Russell Wilson leaves game with injured left knee
Russell Wilson injured his left knee in the second half of the Seattle Seahawks' game against San Francisco on Sunday, the second time in three weeks he's gotten hurt.
Wilson was pulled down awkwardly while being sacked early in the third quarter by Eli Harold, who was flagged for a horse collar tackle on the play as he fell on Wilson's lower leg. Wilson stayed down for a few moments before hopping up and limping around. He missed one play on that series – the first missed play of his career due to injury – but returned to throw one more pass.
Wilson was on the Seattle bench for its next possession while a brace was put on his left knee. Trevone Boykin took over and Steven Hauschka's third field goal gave Seattle a 30-3 lead.
The knee injury comes on top of Wilson playing the last two weeks after suffering a sprained right ankle in the opener against Miami.
The Washington Redskins lost four starters to injury during their game against the New York Giants.
Cornerback Bashaud Breeland sustained a high sprain to his right ankle and was scheduled to have an MRI on Monday. He was injured covering rookie Sterling Shepard on a 12-yard pass down to the Redskins 1. Trainers worked on his lower right leg, and he couldn't put weight on the leg as he was helped off the field.
Defensive back DeAngelo Hall hurt his right knee and will be checked for a possible torn ACL. Center Kory Lichtensteiger went out with a left calf strain, and left guard Shawn Lauvao hurt his right ankle and was to have an MRI.
Washington running back Matt Jones was evaluated for a concussion after taking a tough hit by Nat Berhe that appeared to jolt his neck forward, but he was cleared and allowed to return to play.
The battered San Diego Chargers were dealt another blow when linebacker Manti Te'o left the game against Indianapolis with an Achilles tendon injury.
Te'o went down after trying to chase Colts running back Frank Gore into the flat. Te'o appeared to plant on his left leg and then collapsed. Te'o went into the game leading the Chargers with 19 tackles.
In other injuries:
– Arizona punter Drew Butler injured an ankle in the first quarter. Kicker Chandler Catanzaro took over punting duties for Butler.
– Oakland right tackle Menelik Watson hurt his right leg late in the second quarter against Tennessee. Trainers checked him out on the field, and Watson was able to walk to the sideline.
– Detroit safety Tavon Wilson injured his neck and left the game in Green Bay in the first quarter. It was another blow for an injury-depleted Lions defense that is already without lineman Ezekiel Ansah and linebacker DeAndre Levy.
– Green Bay tight end Jared Cook went out early in the second quarter with a right ankle injury, and fullback Aaron Ripkowski left in the second quarter with a back injury.
– Carolina defensive lineman Vernon Butler left the game against Minnesota with a right lower leg injury in the third quarter.
– Denver safety T.J. Ward hurt his neck late in the first quarter but returned against Cincinnati. The Broncos were already missing safety Justin Simmons.
– Cincinnati kicker Mike Nugent hurt his shoulder while helping to make a tackle during a kickoff return in the second quarter but later made a field goal.
– Pittsburgh linebacker Lawrence Timmons was taken to a hospital for evaluation after hurting his left shin in the first half against Philadelphia.
– New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis missed the final series of the first half against the Kansas City Chiefs as he was treated for an eye injury on the sideline.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.co