NFL rumors: Week 9 news on injuries, suspensions, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
Week 8 of the NFL season wrapped up on Monday with the Chicago Bears pulling off the surprising 20–10 victory over the Minnesota Vikings. Now, the league is focused on the trade deadline, which comes at 4:00 p.m. ET today.
The Cleveland Browns have already made waves on the trade market, acquiring Pro Bowl linebacker Jamie Collins from the New England Patriots for a third-round pick.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The New York Giants are the only team that is still interested in trading for Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, reports Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.
• The Browns are also taking calls about cornerback Joe Haden, reports Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.
• Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu is out 3–6 weeks with a shoulder injury, reports Rapoport.
• NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will speak with Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton after Newton complained about rough and/or late hits on him not being flagged, reports ESPN's Ed Werder.
• Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll told reporters that defensive lineman Michael Bennett will have knee surgery on Wednesday.
• Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith does not have a concussion, reports ESPN's Adam Teicher. Smith was taken out in the second of Kansas City's win over the Colts on Sunday after taking two hits to the head.
• The Green Bay Packers have waived running back Knile Davis just two weeks after acquiring him in a trade from the Kansas City Chiefs, reports ESPN's Rob Demovsky.