Raiders 23, Chiefs 20, OT

As the Oakland Raiders poured out onto the field to celebrate

Sebastian Janikowski’s overtime kick, the 15 penalties, three

turnovers and long stretches of offensive ineptitude were merely a


The Raiders won their biggest game in nearly eight years and are

once again a contender in the AFC West.

Jason Campbell threw a 47-yard pass to rookie Jacoby Ford in

overtime to set up Janikowski’s winning 33-yard field goal that

capped Oakland’s 23-20 victory over the division-leading Kansas

City Chiefs on Sunday.

”It wasn’t the way we draw it up but it was the way it was

supposed to be,” coach Tom Cable said. ”We hung in there, fought,

hung in there, fought, got a chance, made a couple of plays, made

two kicks and now we’re all happy. It’s a great job by our team of

really pulling together.”

Campbell and Ford hooked up on a 29-yard pass in the closing

seconds of regulation to set up Janikowski’s tying 41-yard field

goal. The Raiders (5-4) then won it in overtime for their most

significant victory since winning the 2002 AFC championship.

Oakland hasn’t had a winning record at any time since being 2-1 in

2004 and not this late since ’02.

By winning their third straight game for the first time since

that season, Oakland heads into its bye week just a half-game

behind Kansas City (5-3).

”This win was probably the win that does wonders for our

season,” Campbell said.

The Chiefs won the overtime toss but were unable to generate a

first down. Campbell then hit Ford on a diving catch on the first

play for Oakland. Ford, a fourth-round pick, caught six passes for

148 yards and returned the opening kick of the second half for a


”It’s something I’ve been wanting to do ever since I was

little,” Ford said. ”I went out there, and it was a dream come

true to be out there having fun making plays with those guys.”

After a short run and a timeout by the Chiefs, Janikowski came

on for the winning kick. As soon as it sailed through the uprights,

the Raiders celebrated with the first sellout crowd in Oakland

since last year’s opener.

The talk all week was about the revival of a rivalry that was

one of the sport’s best for a decade starting in the 1960s. While

the play was sloppy at times with five turnovers, 27 penalties and

two blown fake punts, the intensity was top-notch.

The Raiders trailed 20-17 when they took over at their 25 with

2:06 to play. The big play came when Ford ripped a ball away from a

defender for a 29-yard gain to the 22. Oakland rushed to the line

and spiked the ball with 7 seconds left, setting the stage for

Janikowski’s tying field goal.

”Unfortunately, they took it down at the end of the game and we

weren’t able to produce in overtime,” Chiefs quarterback Matt

Cassel said. ”It’s difficult to take when you make the mistakes

that we did today and lose.”

Kansas City had taken a 20-17 lead on a 20-yard pass from Cassel

to Dwayne Bowe with 6:13 to play. That score was set up when Nick

Miller muffed a punt and Kansas City’s Verran Tucker recovered at

the Raiders 30. It appeared as if Miller’s knee might have been

down before the ball came loose, but Cable had already used his two

challenges so Kansas City kept the ball.

The Raiders had gained just 54 yards with their only score

coming on Ford’s 94-yard kickoff return to open the second half

when they took over trailing 13-7 early in the third quarter.

The offense finally got going as Campbell hit Ford on a 16-yard

pass and Darren McFadden followed with a 34-yard run. A 16-yard

pass to McFadden moved the ball to the 2 and two plays later

Campbell found tackle Khalif Barnes for a touchdown that gave

Oakland a 14-13 lead.

The Raiders tacked on a 23-yard field goal by Janikowski after

Campbell found Ford on a key third-down conversion for 37


After Rock Cartwright was stopped on Oakland’s fake punt try,

the Chiefs appeared to score on a slant from Cassel to Tony Moeaki

on third-and-2 from the 6.

Cable challenged the call and won it when replays showed

Moeaki’s knee went down at the 1. Instead of giving the Chiefs a

first down, the officials originally called it fourth and goal from

the 1. After a holding call on Kansas City, the officials corrected

the down and the Chiefs had first-and-goal at the 11.

Tucker made an acrobatic catch in the back of the end zone on

the next play. Cable challenged that call and lost it, meaning

Oakland was out of challenges with 14:31 left in the half.

The Chiefs added a field goal from Ryan Succop after McFadden

lost a fumble to make it 10-0 and could have had an even bigger

lead at the half but had a touchdown and field goal erased by

penalties. Cassel also threw an interception in the end zone in the

final minute of the half.

”You can’t have minus plays and expect to win in this league,

you can’t turn the ball over in the red zone and expect to win,

you’re just not going to do it – it’s going to come back to get

you,” coach Todd Haley said. ”You leave points out there, it

usually comes back to haunt you.”

Notes: Kansas City had won seven straight in Oakland, tied for

the longest active streak by a visiting team. … Oakland S Tyvon

Branch left with a concussion in the third quarter.