Steelers QB Roethlisberger cleared to practice after concussion protocol

Ben Roethlisberger was a first-round pick in 2004.

Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was removed from the NFL’s concussion protocol and plans to practice on Wednesday.

Roethlisberger said Wednesday that he’s been cleared to play in Sunday night’s game against the visiting Indianapolis Colts. He was struck in the head late in last week’s 39-30 loss at the Seattle Seahawks and eventually left the game.

He said on his weekly radio show Tuesday that he passed tests and didn’t have a concussion. However, coach Mike Tomlin said during his weekly news conference that Roethlisberger had indeed been diagnosed with a concussion.

"I said I didn’t know the results then, but I felt good because when I left the training room the trainers told me this looks good," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "Don’t see why this would be an issue. That’s why I said I didn’t have a concussion and would be ready to go."