Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin aren’t the only Dolphins who may be out of a job when the dust settles.
General manager Jeff Ireland, who reportedly told Martin’s agent that the young lineman should "punch" Incognito in response to the alleged abuse by him, was ripped this week by former quarterback Sage Rosenfels, who played for the Dolphins from 2002 to 2005 and again while Ireland was the general manager in 2011. He took to Twitter on Thursday to offer up some insight on the Dolphins and dish some dirt on Ireland.
Rosenfels, who spent 11 seasons with five different teams, rejoined the Dolphins in 2011 but was only on the active roster for two weeks before being placed on the non-football injury (NFI) list when he contracted mononucleosis. Once Rosenfels was healthy, though, he says Ireland refused to take him off the NFI list or release him as the GM feared Rosenfels knew too much about the Dolphins’ offense. Instead, Ireland waited until the beginning of December to cut the quarterback, leaving Rosenfels a smaller chance of being signed (the Vikings claimed him off waivers).
The saga left Rosenfels with a bad taste in his mouth about Ireland and an opinion of just how the general manager approaches his business. Rosenfels even went as far as to call Ireland the “worst GM in my career.”
Check out some of Rosenfels’ very pointed tweets below.
I only spent two weeks on the Dolphins when Ireland was the GM. In that short time he won the award for worst GM in my career. #jerk
Ireland, perhaps most notorious for asking Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute during pre-Draft interviews in 2010, isn’t the only one under fire. Dolphins coaches knew Incognito was hazing Martin and other young teammates, and allowed it because they believed it would toughen up the players, FOX Sports NFL Insider Mike Garafolo reported this week.
The league is investigating the relationship Incognito had with Martin, who left the team last week because of emotional issues. Incognito was suspended indefinitely by coach Joe Philbin for his treatment of Martin.
"As the representative organization of all players, the NFLPA will insist on a fair investigation for all involved," the union said in a statement Tuesday that included no condemnation of Incognito’s conduct.
Instead, the union said accountability rested with the Dolphins.
"We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players, and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples," the union said. "It is the duty of this union to hold the clubs … accountable for safety and professionalism in the workplace. … We will continue to remain in contact with the impacted players, their representatives and player leadership."
Philbin said he was unaware of any harassment between the players until after Martin left the team.
"If the (NFL) review shows that this is not a safe atmosphere, I will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure that it is," Philbin said.
No criminal investigation has been disclosed. Meanwhile, the NFL must decide whether the Dolphins failed to enforce the guidelines for workplace conduct included in the league’s player policy manual.
"All NFL players and prospective players have the right to work in a positive environment that is free from any and all forms of harassment, intimidation and discrimination," the manual says. Every player receives a copy during training camp.