Jets, C Nick Mangold close on contract extension

The anchor of the New York Jets’ offensive line is about to get

a big payday.

All-Pro center Nick Mangold and the Jets are close on a contract

extension, coach Rex Ryan acknowledged Monday. The deal would make

the two-time Pro Bowl selection one of the highest-paid players at

his position.

Mangold is scheduled to earn $3.3 million in the final year of

his five-year rookie deal. He wouldn’t speak directly about his

contract situation, saying he had been advised by his agents to

keep quiet about the conversations.

”Anything else football, I’d love to talk,” a mum Mangold

said. ”Otherwise, I’m not talking contract. You can fire away, but

I will be stonefaced.”

When asked if he felt richer, Mangold answered:

”Stonefaced.”

The deal is likely to approach – if not surpass – the one signed

last year by St. Louis center Jason Brown, whose five-year contract

was worth $37.5 million, including $20 million guaranteed.

”For a player to be rewarded the way he allegedly is about to,

is a good thing,” guard Brandon Moore said.

Ryan said he was excited by the news that the sides are close to

a deal.

”It’s great,” Ryan said. ”To be able to lock up the best

center in football? Yeah, that would absolutely be a big thing for

us.”

Mangold, a first-round pick in 2006, showed up for minicamp and

training camp despite being unhappy with the lack of progress in

his contract negotiations.

”It didn’t fit my personality,” Mangold said of holding out.

”It’s not me, it’s not who I am, and it’s not what I do.”

That attitude further endeared Mangold to several of his

teammates.

”He treated it like a professional,” Moore said. ”He could’ve

easily made a stink about it, did some things even here when he was

here. But, you wouldn’t have known. A lot of guys didn’t even know

it was an issue. I think that’s a testament to the type of

professional he is to be able to put that aside and just come to

work.”

Meanwhile, All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis remains a holdout,

locked in a contract dispute with the team. Revis didn’t report to

training camp on Aug. 1, and it’s uncertain when – or if – he will

rejoin his teammates. Negotiations have remained confidential after

things got snippy through the media.

”We’re in a quiet phase,” owner Woody Johnson told Newsday at

an event at the New Meadowlands Stadium. ”Both sides agreed to do

that.”

Revis is scheduled to make $1 million in the fourth year of his

six-year rookie deal, but wants to become the league’s highest-paid

cornerback. That distinction belongs to Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha,

who signed a three-year, $45.3 million extension last

offseason.

He’s being fined $16,523 for each day he misses, meaning he’s

out $380,029 after 23 days away.

Backup cornerback Drew Coleman reworked his $1.17 million tender

contract, signing a one-year deal under $1 million that included

guaranteed money up front. The move to take less money should help

secure Coleman’s spot on the 53-man roster.

”The main thing was that I want to be here,” said Coleman, a

sixth-round pick in 2006. ”So, I’d do whatever it takes for us to

get to this goal, get to this championship. Whether that was going

to be taking a pay cut or less playing time, I just told them that

even though there’s a recession and there might be a lockout, my

main thing is trying to get a championship.”

NOTES: Undrafted rookie free agent G Charlie Tanner was carted

off the field with a knee injury after being injured during 9-on-7

drills. Ryan said Tanner, from the University of Texas, would have

an MRI exam, and it was ”probably an MCL sprain, but we’ll see.”

… DB Donovan Warren did not practice, and LB Joshua Mauga was

limited, also recovering from a concussion.