UPDATE: Broncos reportedly boost offer to Von Miller

UPDATE: The Denver Broncos have boosted their offer to Von Miller, a person with knowledge of the proposal has told The Associated Press. The Super Bowl MVP has threatened to sit out the 2016 season without a long-term deal.

The person, who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, said the new proposal was submitted to Miller’s agent, Joby Branion, on Friday and moves up the date at which more money would be guaranteed.

The sides have a week to work out a deal or Miller would only be allowed to play the 2016 season on the $14.26 million exclusive franchise tag tender, something he’s insisted he won’t do.

A month ago, Miller’s camp agreed to the parameters of the Broncos’ $114.5 million, six-year offer that would have made Miller the NFL’s highest-paid non-quarterback but they wanted more guaranteed money. The proposal included $38.5 million fully guaranteed over the first two years with the possibility of another $19.5 million that wouldn’t kick in until Year 3.

Miller prefers something more along the lines of Fletcher Cox’s recent deal that guarantees him $55 million in the first nine months and about $63 million overall.

Miller predicted peaceful contract negotiations after spearheading Denver’s 24-10 win over Carolina in the Super Bowl but things got thorny last month. Miller cropped general manager John Elway from a photo on his Instagram account and said there’s no way he’d play this season on the franchise tag.

His teammates continue to express confidence Miller will be in uniform when the Broncos open training camp later this month.

"I think it will happen because me and Elway went down to the wire last year," said receiver Demaryius Thomas, who signed a $70 million deadline deal in 2015.

"Mr. Elway will get it done," safety T.J. Ward predicted on "NFL Total Access" this week. "I know Von is eager to get back with us. We miss him, he misses us. It is time to get going. But, I’m pretty sure it will get done."

— The Associated Press

The Denver Broncos have boosted their offer to Von Miller, a person with knowledge of the proposal has told The Associated Press. The Super Bowl MVP has threatened to sit out the 2016 season without a long-term deal.

The person, who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing, said the new proposal was submitted to Miller’s agent, Joby Branion, on Friday and moves up the date at which more money would be guaranteed.

The sides have a week to work out a deal or Miller would only be allowed to play the 2016 season on the $14.26 million exclusive franchise tag tender, something he’s insisted he won’t do.

A month ago, Miller’s camp agreed to the parameters of the Broncos’ $114.5 million, six-year offer that would have made Miller the NFL’s highest-paid non-quarterback but they wanted more guaranteed money. The proposal included $38.5 million fully guaranteed over the first two years with the possibility of another $19.5 million that wouldn’t kick in until Year 3.

Miller prefers something more along the lines of Fletcher Cox’s recent deal that guarantees him $55 million in the first nine months and about $63 million overall.

Miller predicted peaceful contract negotiations after spearheading Denver’s 24-10 win over Carolina in the Super Bowl but things got thorny last month. Miller cropped general manager John Elway from a photo on his Instagram account and said there’s no way he’d play this season on the franchise tag.

His teammates continue to express confidence Miller will be in uniform when the Broncos open training camp later this month.

"I think it will happen because me and Elway went down to the wire last year," said receiver Demaryius Thomas, who signed a $70 million deadline deal in 2015.

"Mr. Elway will get it done," safety T.J. Ward predicted on "NFL Total Access" this week. "I know Von is eager to get back with us. We miss him, he misses us. It is time to get going. But, I’m pretty sure it will get done."

The Denver Broncos have scheduled a phone meeting with Super Bowl MVP Von Miller in hopes of ending their contract impasse, ESPN reports.

The two sides reportedly will talk today — one week before the deadline for franchised-tagged players to sign long-term deals.

Miller, 27, has stated that he will not play under the franchise tag in the upcoming season. And there has been little progress in regard to an extension, despite Broncos GM John Elway reportedly speaking with Miller last weekend. The sticking point in the negotiations is the amount of guaranteed money in the deal.

Miller started all 16 games last season, finishing with 11 sacks and four forced fumbles. In the Broncos’ three playoff games, the linebacker added five more sacks, two forced fumbles and an interception. He was named a First-Team All Pro for the second time and a Pro Bowler for the fourth time.

In his five-season NFL career, Miller has 60 sacks and 17 forced fumbles.