DeAndre Hopkins: “We know what we have to do”
DeAndre Hopkins has made it clear that he loves playing for the Houston Texans as both sides get ready to work on a contract extension.
Next season is the final year of Hopkins’ current deal and it sounds like both sides want to make sure something gets done.
“I love this organization and what this team is doing,” Hopkins said, via the Houston Chronicle. “It seems like we’re getting better and better every year, so why not?”
Texans owner Bob McNair told the media earlier this week that they want to sign Hopkins to an extension.
Despite an abysmal year on the offensive side of the ball, Hopkins says they’re working hard to make the changes that need to be made.
“We’re doing everything we can to help out this team,” Hopkins said. “We know we didn’t have a productive offensive season last year, but we’re definitely working on everything we need to work on.
“There’s a lot I can improve on. I didn’t have the season I wanted to have statistically. With my team’s success, we’re still not where we want to be. We won a playoff game. Just kind of whoever my quarterback’s going to be, just to get some work in with all those guys.”
- Wes Welker joins Houston Texans as assistant coach FanSided
- NFL Playoff Fashion: DeAndre Hopkins Arrives From The Catwalk Just In Time For Game The Outside Game
- DeAndre Hopkins Hauls In Bomb, Follows With Touchdown Grab (Video) NFL Spin Zone
- Texans at Titans: Game preview, odds, prediction FanSided
- Fantasy Football Week 15: Start or Sit? NFL Spin Zone
- NFL Stars And Shoe Companies Teamed Up To Make Custom Cleats For Some Amazing Causes The Outside Game
Hopkins never complained about how poorly Brock Osweiler played this past season and it sounds like Andre Johnson was a big reason for his professionalism.
“Luckily, I had a guy like Andre Johnson to show me the ropes,” Hopkins said. “He’s had many quarterbacks in his career and he still had a successful career. Just having a guy like that to tell me to control what I can control, that’s really all you can do.”
Hopkins admits this team knows how the win after taking home the AFC South title in each of the past two seasons.
“We know what we have to do,” Hopkins said. “We’re not satisfied with what we did last year even though we won the AFC South, even though we beat Oakland in the first round. Next year, we’re going for improvement.
“That’s why I love the guys and being around them every day. We know we can be better. We’re not satisfied with being AFC South champs back to back.”
The Texans already bolster the NFL’s top defense from the 2016 season. If they can somehow get more consistent play at the quarterback position and stabilize their offensive line, they’ll have a real shot at going far into the playoffs next season.
Unlike many teams in the league, the Texans are ready to contend for a Super Bowl right now. They just need to add a few more pieces to the puzzle.
Hopkins is one of the Texans’ biggest pieces, which is why they’ll make sure he never leaves.
More from Toro Times
- Texans one of four teams Tony Romo wants to play for next season, per report37m ago
- Bill O’Brien big believer in Jimmy Garoppolo, per report17h ago
- Sean Salisbury: Texans should trade J.J. Watt for a quarterback17h ago
- Texans’ GM Rick Smith on Brock Osweiler: “We’ve got to get better production”18h ago
- J.J. Watt talks retirement plans, being down after missing last season21h ago