Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles could have torn ACL in right knee
If the preliminary diagnosis on Jamaal Charles’ injured right knee is correct, the Pro Bowl running back for the Kansas City Chiefs could be done for the season with a torn ACL.
Charles’ knee buckled as he tried to cut to the left Sunday in the third quarter of Kansas City’s 18-17 loss to the visiting Chicago Bears. Charles will have an MRI on Monday.
He missed most of the 2012 season after tearing the ACL in his left knee.
Two other big-name players who exited Sunday were a pair of pass rushers: DeMarcus Ware of the Broncos, and Elvis Dumervil of the Ravens.
Ware left on a cart with an injured back during the first half of Denver’s game at Oakland. Dumervil hurt his groin in the first half against Cleveland, and was joined on Baltimore’s sideline by defensive backs Lardarius Webb (thigh) and Will Davis (knee).
In other injury news:
– The Patriots (Dont’a Hightower; rib), Bears (Shea McClellin; knee), Cardinals (Alex Okafor and Kenny Demens, both knees) and Lions (DeAndre Levy; hip) lost linebackers, too.
– Browns CB Joe Haden banged his head in the fourth quarter and was kept out with a concussion.
– Another corner, Davon House of the Jaguars, was using a cane in the locker room after hurting his hip against the Bucs. Jacksonville also had two running backs leave: T.J. Yeldon (groin) and Bernard Pierce. For the Bucs, FS Chris Conte left after hurting his ankle.
– Falcons C Mike Person left with an ankle sprain, and WR Leonard Hankerson returned despite a rib injury, two players who won’t get much time to heal because Atlanta plays at New Orleans on Thursday night.
– Raiders DE Justin Tuck left with a shoulder injury.
– The Rams and Packers each lost key players on both sides of the ball in their game, with St. Louis seeing G Roger Saffold (shoulder) and DL Chris Long (knee) get injured, while Green Bay G T.J. Lang (knee), DT B.J. Raji (groin) and LB Nick Perry (shoulder) out.
– Other skill players who left games: Saints WR Marques Colston (arm injury), Redskins RB Matt Jones (sprained toe) and Bills RB Cierre Wood (knee).
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and AP NFL Twitter feed: www.twitter.com/AP-NFL