Browns visit facility, leave disappointed

Browns wide receiver Josh Cribbs was met inside the door of

Cleveland’s training facility by a smiling security director, an

unsigned letter from the team – and awkwardness.

”I walked in and it felt like the building was still closed,”

Cribbs said Tuesday.

Supposedly lifted, the NFL lockout has only grown more


One day after a judge at least temporarily ended the league’s

45-day labor strife, Cribbs, tight end Ben Watson and punter Reggie

Hodges returned to team headquarters, hoping to work out and return

to some semblance of normalcy after weeks of following court

proceedings from afar.

The trio arrived shortly before 10 a.m., and was greeted at the

door by Lew Merletti, head of Browns’ security and former Secret

Service director under President Clinton. Less than an hour later,

the players left with some unanswered questions and feeling


During their stay, the were allowed to visit the weight room and

locker room. However, they were prevented from meeting with coaches

or getting playbooks.

”It was strange and awkward,” Cribbs said of returning to his

work place only to find empty hallways and little activity inside a

normally bustling building. ”It was kind of awkward because we

really don’t talk to our security staff unless there is a security


”So, the security issue is us.”

Cribbs said Merletti gave the players letters from the Browns

urging them to be patient, and outlining the rules they needed to

follow inside team headquarters. The players were not allowed in

the upstairs offices or to have any personal contact with new coach

Pat Shurmur, his staff or other employees.

Even then, there was ambiguity in the message.

While Cribbs didn’t think the Browns could work out, Watson was

under the impression the players could have lifted weights if they

had chosen to. Watson was asked if he touched the weights.

”Yeah, they didn’t shock me,” Watson said, laughing as he

talked to reporters from behind the wheel of his Range Rover. ”We

just wanted to come in and get familiar with being there and we

would be allowed to work out. But there was no structure for


Cribbs said the players were trying to prove a point by

reporting only hours after the judge’s ruling.

”We’re basically showing that we want to work,” he said.

”We’re basically showing that we’re at work as scheduled. We want

to get back at football. We want to continue to play football and

we’re eager to get back on the field. We’re showing that when the

lockout is over, we’re gonna be here like we’re supposed to at work

and to get a job done. That’s what coming today proves.”

Watson said the players walked around, briefly visited the

locker room and spent a few minutes talking with security


After they left the building, Cribbs, Watson and Hodges huddled

together on the sidewalk entrance before heading to their cars.

Watson arrived with Hodges as his front-seat passenger while Cribbs

drove alone.

All three said it’s been frustrating not to be able to meet with

Shurmur, who was hired in January after Eric Mangini was fired

after his second 5-11 season. The Browns are eager to dig into

Shurmur’s playbook so they can learn a new West Coast offense and a

4-3 defensive alignment.

”I’m pretty disappointed,” Cribbs said.

”We would like to get with the coaches, to get with them

because we have a lot to work on and a lot to catch up on,” Watson

said. ”But the coaches can’t do what they’re not allowed to do and

for whatever reason at this point they are not able to meet with


”Hopefully, we will able to soon and it will be business as


The league promised players would be ”treated with courtesy and

respect” if they showed up at their team’s facilities. Watson said

Merletti was polite and professional.

”He was all smiles. We were all smiles. It wasn’t a

confrontational thing,” he said. ”That’s not what this is. It

wasn’t a ‘Watch what you guys are doing.’ Nothing like that. He was

just there to welcome us and say that the team and organization is

working through some things as far as when they’ll start contact

with us, how stuff will start up and when it will start up.”

Watson remains optimistic the sides will eventually finalize a

collective bargaining agreement. He’s not sure if the judge’s most

recent ruling has moved things closer to a resolution.

”We’re obviously closer to the end because we have to be,” he

said. ”Now that doesn’t mean the end is going to be close, but

it’s definitely a step in the right direction.”

Before pulling away, Watson was asked if he planned to come back

on Wednesday.

”I don’t know,” he said. ”I just wanted to come for one day

to see how it goes and see what happens. Stuff changes every five

or 10 minutes.”