Breeland among 4 Redskins starters knocked out by injuries
New York Giants' Landon Collins (21) tackles Washington Redskins' Matt Jones (31) during the first half of an NFL football game Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
The Washington Redskins lost four starters to injury during their game against the New York Giants on Sunday.
Cornerback Bashaud Breeland hurt his right ankle in the first quarter and did not return. He was injured covering rookie Sterling Shepard on a 12-yard pass down to the Redskins 1. Trainers worked on his lower right leg, and he couldn't put weight on the leg as he was helped off the field.
Defensive back DeAngelo Hall sprained his right knee, center Kory Lichtensteiger went out with a left calf injury and left guard Shawn Lauvao was knocked out of the game with a left ankle injury.
Article continues below ...
Washington running back Matt Jones was evaluated for a concussion after taking a tough hit by Nat Berhe that appeared to jolt his neck forward, but he was cleared and allowed to return to play.
In other injuries Sunday:
– Arizona punter Drew Butler injured an ankle in the first quarter. Kicker Chandler Catanzaro took over punting duties for Butler.
– Oakland right tackle Menelik Watson hurt his right leg late in the second quarter against Tennessee. Trainers checked him out on the field, and Watson was able to walk to the sideline.
– Detroit safety Tavon Wilson injured his neck and left the game in Green Bay in the first quarter. It was another blow for an injury-depleted Lions defense that is already without lineman Ezekiel Ansah and linebacker DeAndre Levy.
– Green Bay tight end Jared Cook went out early in the second quarter with a right ankle injury, and fullback Aaron Ripkowski left in the second quarter with a back injury.
– Carolina defensive lineman Vernon Butler left the game against Minnesota with a right lower leg injury in the third quarter.
– Denver safety T.J. Ward hurt his neck late in the first quarter but returned against Cincinnati. The Broncos were already missing safety Justin Simmons.
– Cincinnati kicker Mike Nugent hurt his shoulder while helping to make a tackle during a kickoff return in the second quarter but later made a field goal.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL