BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– NEW YORK – Rafael Nadal is looking for his 16th Grand Slam title while Kevin Anderson is in search of his first as the two play for the U.S. Open championship. Match starts 4 p.m.
– NEW YORK – The Associated Press releases its weekly Top 25 College Football poll. Poll released at 2 p.m.
– HOUSTON – A city that has dealt with so much in the last two weeks in Hurricane Harvey’s aftermath gets a dose of normalcy when the Houston Texans open their season against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Texans hope the game will give the storm-weary area a few hours of distraction in this trying time. Game time 1 p.m.
– ARLINGTON, Texas – Ezekiel Elliott and the Dallas Cowboys open against the Giants after finding out the star running back’s six-game suspension is on hold. Dynamic New York receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (ankle) is questionable for Eli Manning’s 200th straight start. Game time 8:30 p.m.
– Three other key NFL games: Falcons at Bears (1 p.m.); Steelers at Browns (1 p.m.); Colts at Rams (4 p.m.)
– CLEVELAND – The Indians attempt to extend baseball’s second-longest winning streak since 1961 to 18 games as they wrap up a three-game series against the Baltimore Orioles with Trevor Bauer going for his 16th win. Game time 8 p.m.
– LOS ANGELES – The NL West-leading Dodgers try to avoid losing their 10th in a row for the first time in 25 years. Rich Hill takes the mound for Los Angeles in the series finale against Tyler Chatwood and the Colorado Rockies. The Dodgers have one win in their last 15 games. Game time 4:10 p.m.
– CHIBA, Japan – Colin Montgomerie made all the putts he needed on Narita Golf Club’s huge greens Sunday to win the Japan Airlines Championship – the first PGA Tour Champions event in Japan.