Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– NEW YORK – Sept. 1 marks 10 years that Roger Goodell has served as NFL commissioner. A look at his stewardship over that decade as the NFL has grown exponentially, but also has been plagued by off-field issues ranging from player conduct to concussions. UPCOMING: 1,100 words, photos.
– NEW YORK – Novak Djokovic gives his troublesome right arm another test in the second round of the U.S. Open, facing someone who beat him earlier this season. Rafael Nadal plays at night. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 8 p.m.; updated with night session. With: US OPEN-THE LATEST.
Article continues below ...
– MIAMI – New Dolphins boss Adam Gase likes to talk trash with his players, but then all of the NFL's new coaches could denigrate their teams, because they're all in need of a turnaround. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos by 4 p.m.
– LAUSANNE, Switzerland – The IOC has stripped four more athletes – including three Russians – of medals from the 2008 Beijing Olympics after their doping samples were retested and came back positive. SENT: 500 words, photos.
– NEW YORK – For the last five years, the top rules experts in golf have come together from around the world to study a jigsaw puzzle. They are finding it very difficult to simply the complicated the Rules of Golf. SENT: 800 words, photos.
– DETROIT – Two AL Central aces square off when Chicago's Chris Sale (15-7, 3.14) faces Detroit's Justin Verlander (14-7, 3.33). UPCOMING: 700 words, photos. Starts 1:10 p.m.
– ARLINGTON, Texas – Felix Hernandez (9-4, 3.14) tries to win his sixth straight decision when Seattle wraps up a series against the Rangers and tries to end a four-game losing streak. UPCOMING: 700 words, photos. Starts 2:05 p.m.
– A handful big-money coaches in the Southeastern Conference have much on the line this season, including their jobs. That group includes Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin, Auburn's Gus Malzahn and maybe even LSU's Les Miles. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 2 p.m.
– Wisconsin's opener against fifth-ranked LSU in the Lambeau Field College Classic in Green Bay on Saturday is chock-full of story lines. By Eric Olson. UPCOMING: 525 words, photos.
– AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas quarterback competition dominating Longhorns training camp has lacked a particular ingredient: juice. Or more specifically, Jerrod Heard. UPCOMING: 520 words, photos by 2 p.m.
– Surprise preseason performances and two big starting quarterback injuries have fantasy owners scrambling to alter cheat sheets, re-arrange queues, and reflect on life's larger questions. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos by 5 p.m.