BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Tuesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– MIAMI – With Giancarlo Stanton having homered in five straight games, the Miami Marlins face Madison Bumgarner and the San Francisco Giants. Game starts 7:10 p.m.
– LOS ANGELES – Alex Wood (14-1) starts for the major-league leading Dodgers, who can pull to 50 games over .500 with a victory over the last-place Chicago White Sox. Game starts 10 p.m.
– NEW YORK – Sonny Gray, 0-2 since the Yankees acquired him from Oakland, faces Jacob deGrom (13-5) of the Mets in a Subway Series matchup in the Bronx. Game starts 7:05 p.m.
– RICHMOND, Va. – The most important member of the Redskins offense could be Colt McCoy. The backup quarterback is one play away from having the team’s fortunes in his hands.
– OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The Baltimore Ravens have already lost nine players for the season, including seven to injury. It’s apparent that depth will be the key this season.
– JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Blake Bortles is having an up-and-down camp. That hardly gives the Jaguars confidence in a quarterback whose career is at a crossroads.
– MADISON, Wis. – Running back Chris James made the jump from Pittsburgh to Wisconsin. He is among this year’s crop of Division I transfers who could make an immediate impact.
– TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Damien Harris doesn’t think Alabama tailbacks will be bickering over carries, or lack of them. Harris and Bo Scarbrough headline a deep, talented backfield.
– CLEMSON, S.C. – Hunter Renfrow, whose touchdown catch led to a national title, is already a folk-hero for Clemson fans. Now he’d like to be a regular contributor.
– WEST DES MOINES, Iowa – Paula Creamer made the U.S. team for the Solheim Cup six times in a row. She gets a reprieve as an alternate for this weekend’s tournament.
– MASON, Ohio – Venus Williams begins play at the Western & Southern Open, a U.S. Open tuneup that has been hit hard by the withdrawal of injured top players.
– Liverpool, a five-time European champion, plays Hoffenheim in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs in a bid to reach the group stage.