Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Sunday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EDT:
– CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Kevin Kisner has a one-shot lead over Hideki Matsuyama and Chris Stroud going into the final round of the PGA Championship.
– WASHINGTON – Bryce Harper is scheduled to have an MRI on his left knee, which he hyperextended Saturday night when he slipped on a wet first base, a potentially devastating blow to the NL East-leading Nationals. Washington plays a day-night doubleheader against the San Francisco Giants. Games start at 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m.
Article continues below ...
– NEW YORK – Red Sox ace Chris Sale (14-4, 2.57 ERA) is on the mound as Boston tries to extend its AL East lead over the Yankees in the rubber matchup of a three-game series. Rookie left-hander Jordan Montgomery (7-6, 4.05) starts for New York, one day after he was hit on the head by a fly ball while he signed autographs during batting practice. Game starts 8:05 p.m.
– ARLINGTON, Texas – Astros lefty Dallas Keuchel, winless in three starts since coming off the DL, pitches as the AL West leaders try to avoid another series sweep. Houston takes a season-long five-game losing streak into the finale at the Rangers. Game starts 3:05 p.m.
– PHOENIX – Now in a virtual tie with St. Louis atop the NL Central, the Chicago Cubs send Jake Arrieta to the mound and the Arizona Diamondbacks go with Zack Godley in the rubber match of a three-game series. Game starts 4:10 p.m.
– CARSON, Calif. – Philip Rivers and the Los Angeles Chargers take the field for the first time since their relocation north from San Diego. They host the Seattle Seahawks in their preseason opener at StubHub Center. Game starts 8 p.m.
– INDIANAPOLIS – After two days of joint practices, the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions square off in their preseason opener. Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford isn’t expected to play much. Colts backup Scott Tolzien will probably get a little more action than usual because Andrew Luck still has not been activated after having offseason shoulder surgery. Game starts 1:30 p.m.
– LATROBE, Pa. – Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Martavis Bryant will practice with his teammates for the first time during training camp. Bryant is in the process of being reinstated by the NFL following a year-long drug suspension.
– MANHATTAN, Kan. – Kansas State coach Bill Snyder is back for another season, despite a cancer scare earlier this year. The 77-year-old coach believes he has a team capable of contending for a Big 12 title and even a national championship, and no amount of chemotherapy was going to keep him from leading the Wildcats for the 26th year.
– BROOKLYN, Mich. – Brad Keselowski starts from pole position in the NASCAR Cup Series race at Michigan. Race starts 3 p.m.
– MANCHESTER, England – Fresh off another summer of heavy spending, Manchester United begins the Premier League season at home against West Ham. Tottenham visits Newcastle in the other game.