Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EDT.
– DENVER – Peyton Manning delivers the keynote address at the Boy Scouts of America’s annual breakfast Wednesday and makes his first public comments since the Denver Broncos were trounced by Seattle from the opening snap of the Super Bowl.
– ATLANTA – Fast-growing Major League Soccer is adding another expansion team, awarding a franchise to Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank for the city’s new retractable roof stadium, scheduled to open in 2017.
Article continues below ...
– PITTSBURGH – The heavily favored Pittsburgh Penguins host the Columbus Blue Jackets in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals on Wednesday night. The Penguins swept the season series from Columbus, which has never won a postseason game.
– ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Patrick Roy closed out his Hall of Fame goaltending career with a Game 7 loss to Minnesota during the 2003 postseason. Perhaps fittingly, he begins his first playoff series as a coach against the Wild
– ARLINGTON, Texas – In a matchup of aces, Yu Darvish pitches for Texas against Seattle and Felix Hernandez. Darvish hasn’t allowed an earned run this season, and Hernandez has won all three of his starts.
– HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. – Jordan Spieth is back to work just a few days after his electrifying battle at the Masters with champion Bubba Watson.
– KAPOLEI, Hawaii – Golfers tee off in the first round of the LPGA LOTTE Championship on Wednesday.
– URBANA, Ill. – Illinois unveils new uniforms and logos for football, basketball and other sports as part of a rebranding effort by the university and Nike. Illinois has used a number of different uniforms for major sports in recent years