BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Saturday. A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
– NEW ORLEANS – LeBron James has evolved as a leader. His game keeps evolving, too. At 32, he’s the second-oldest All-Star in Sunday’s game, and he’s showing no signs of slowing down.
– NEW ORLEANS – Chris Webber, Rollie Massimino, Tracy McGrady and Rebecca Lobo are among the 14 finalists for this year’s Basketball Hall of Fame.
– NEW ORLEANS – NBA All-Star weekend features the skills challenge, 3-point shot contest and slam dunk contest. Competitions start 8 p.m.
– WACO, Texas – No. 3 Kansas can take a major step to a 13th consecutive Big 12 title with a victory at No. 4 Baylor. Game starts 1 p.m.
– CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – No. 10 North Carolina looks to stay alone in first place in the Atlantic Coast Conference when it hosts No. 14 Virginia. Game starts 8:15 p.m.
– NEW ORLEANS – With their landmark 100th consecutive victory behind them, the UConn women look to extend the streak when they play a Tulane team that is 16-10. Game starts 7 p.m.
– LOS ANGELES – Jordan Spieth tries to close out a strong second round while Dustin Johnson and 18-hole leader Sam Saunders try to start their second rounds at the rain-battered Genesis Open.
– ST. MORITZ, Switzerland – Mikaela Shiffrin wins a third straight world championships slalom title. The American has won the slalom in every major event in which she has competed.
– PITTSBURGH – Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis has a court date in Pittsburgh next week after he surrenders to police. He is charged with assaulting two men in a street fight.
– DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – NASCAR’s season unofficially begins with an exhibition at Daytona. Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be in the broadcast booth, having given his ride to Alex Bowman. Race tarts 8:30 p.m.
– WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper knows ”exactly why” his production plunged dramatically, but he isn’t elaborating. He went from MVP in 2015 to a .243 hitter in 2016.
– LAKELAND, Fla. – Miguel Cabrera is entering his 10th season with the Detroit Tigers. His 38 homers last year helped ease some concerns after he dealt with injury problems in 2015.
– TORONTO – As the NHL celebrates its 100th anniversary, defenseman Borje Salming is hailed for helping to change the perception of European players, once deemed too soft for the NHL.
– The AP follows Temple defensive end Hasson Reddick’s preparations for the NFL draft. Reddick talks about his path from college walk-on to NFL prospect.
– BURNLEY, England – Lincoln becomes the first non-league team to reach the FA Cup quarterfinals since 1914 by beating Premier League club Burnley 1-0 with an 89th-minute goal.