Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday A full Sports Digest will be sent by about 3 p.m. All times EST:
– SANTA CLARA, Calif. – John Elway is one of the few to say he won it all, then step away. Now Peyton Manning tries to follow Elway, wearing the same Broncos uniform Elway wore when he walked off into the sunset nearly 20 years ago. How often does that happen? UPCOMING: 800 words, photos by 5 p.m. With FBN–Super Bowl-Sunset Kids-List.
– BOSTON – Former Oakland Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler, the late NFL MVP and Super Bowl winner who is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, has been diagnosed with the brain disease CTE, Boston University researchers said Wednesday.
Article continues below ...
– With Alabama, LSU and Ohio State among a host of contenders for the team recruiting title, we'll break down Wednesday's most notable recruiting story lines as high school prospects sign their letters of intent. UPCOMING; 750 words, photos by 6 p.m. With FBC–Signing Day-The Latest; Power Five conference wrapups.
– SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Craig Colquitt remembers telling his boys Dustin and Britton that they'd inherit his two Super Bowl rings from the Steelers. Britton has a chance to win his own when the Broncos play the Panthers in the title game. UPCOMING: 750 words, photos by 5 p.m.
– SAN JOSE, Calif. – Whether it's Cam Newton photobombing his teammates, Mike Tolbert playing deejay in the locker room or players attending Star Wars movies together, the Panthers are a loose, tight-knit bunch. UPCOMING. 700 words, photos by 7 p.m.
– SAN FRANCISCO – Microsoft unveils the latest in fan technology that will change the way viewers watch the NFL. UPCOMING: 600 words by 6 p.m.
– ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The college football recruiting circus seems to have found its ringmaster: Jim Harbaugh turns Michigan's signing day into a ''Signing With the Stars'' spectacle, with Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, Jim Leyland and even Ric Flair expected to be on hand. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos.
– SAO PAULO – Santos striker Gabriel Barbosa doesn't like the comparison, but Brazilians see him as the next Neymar. How's that for pressure? UPCOMING 500 words, photos.
– NEW YORK – Yoenis Cespedes appears at a news conference to discuss his $75 million, three-year contract with the New York Mets. UPCOMING: 600 words, photos. Starts 1 p.m.
– SAN ANTONIO – The Spurs take a 26-0 home record into their game against the Pelicans, who handed San Antonio one of its eight losses this season. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos. Starts 8:30 p.m.
– SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Phil Mickelson completes preparations for the Waste Management Phoenix Open with new swing coach Andrew Getson. UPCOMING: 650 words, photos by 7:30 p.m.
– If the NHL playoffs started after the All-Star break, Canadian teams would be relegated to watching on TV. SENT: 600 words, photos.