BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Monday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. All times EST:
– WASHINGTON – Upgrading an already imposing rotation, the Nationals agree to a seven-year contract with 2013 AL Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer, the AP is told.
– NEW YORK – The NFL is investigating whether the Patriots deflated footballs used in their AFC championship game victory over the Colts.
– RENTON, Wash. – The aura of the Seahawks’ startling comeback will quickly yield to reality: Seattle has injury concerns leading to the Super Bowl.
– FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – In a season filled with blowout wins, the Patriots save their biggest for the AFC championship game, a 38-point rout of the Colts.
– CORTINA D’AMPEZZO, Italy – Lindsey Vonn wins a super-G for her record 63rd World Cup victory and celebrates with an embrace from a surprise visitor – boyfriend Tiger Woods.
– MELBOURNE, Australia – Rafael Nadal, returning from a wrist injury and appendix operation that sidelined him most of last season, begins his Australian Open by beating Mikhail Youzhny 6-3, 6-2, 6-2.
– ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Gary Kubiak signs a four-year contract to coach the Broncos. The Ravens’ offensive coordinator replaces John Fox, who split with Denver a week ago following a playoff loss.
– LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Chicago Bears introduce coach John Fox, hoping he can help them rebound from a 5-11 season. He was hired Friday to replace the fired Marc Trestman.
– Tony Dungy thinks the Rooney Rule, which wasn’t around in his day, serves an important purpose, even if he also thinks teams sometimes violate its ”spirit.”
– ATLANTA – The Eastern Conference-leading Atlanta Hawks try to extend their 12-game winning streak when they face the Detroit Pistons. Game starts 2:30 p.m.
– The AP releases its latest Top 25 rankings in men’s and women’s college basketball. Polls to be sent about 1 p.m.
– LAWRENCE, Kan. – Kansas tries to bounce back from a close loss to Iowa State and regain a share of the Big 12 lead when Oklahoma visits Allen Fieldhouse. Game starts 9 p.m.
– WACO, Texas – In a Big 12 women’s showdown, Baylor puts its 15-game winning streak on the line against Texas. Game starts 6:30 p.m.