Baldwin tells “60 Minutes Sports” he's gotten death threats
RENTON, Wash. (AP) Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin has told ''60 Minutes Sports'' that he's received death threats in the wake of his decision to speak out about the need for reviewing police tactics.
In a transcript of the interview released Friday, Baldwin says that in the wake of expressing support for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick he has received death threats.
''I had a few. A couple of people told me to watch my back,'' Baldwin is quoted as saying. The interview is scheduled to air on Showtime next Tuesday.
Baldwin called for a review of training policies for law enforcement across the country last week in the wake of a pair of police shootings, saying the message NFL players are trying to send with their actions during the national anthem now needs follow through.
Baldwin says that despite the threats, he will not stay silent, adding ''if something was to happen to me, I think that would just further prove my point that there are issues in our culture, in our society that need to be changed.''
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL