2013 NFL Draft: Everything you need to know
We here at Laces Out can’t stand being unprepared, so we put together a little somethin’ somethin’ for you to get ready for all the draft action.
Few things you should know:
1. The first round of the NFL Draft is in primetime at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. The fun begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday night. Each team will have 10 minutes to make a pick on the first day. On Day 2, the draft starts again with the second round at 6:30 p.m. ET. Each team will have seven minutes to make a pick. The draft will bleed into Saturday as the last four rounds of the draft will get done, starting at Noon ET.
2. The Chiefs have the first pick in the draft because they finished with a 2-14 record.
3. Twenty-three players will be in attendance, but who will be left alone in the green room the longest?
Five players you should know:
1. Manti Te’o: For four seasons Te’o was a nasty linebacker who played with a reckless abandon at Notre Dame. Following an underwhelming BCS Championship Game performance, Te’o got caught up in a mess involving a fake girlfriend. You’ve heard the story. Where will he end up on draft day?
2. Tyrann Mathieu: The Honey Badger smoked his competition on the field, but got busted in Baton Rouge for smoking cannabis off of it. Mathieu was given the boot, took a year off and is now looking to make the leap into the next level.
3. Luke Joeckel: He watched Johnny Football’s back at Texas A&M and was a ferocious competitor. Will the Chiefs pull the trigger and take him with the No. 1 pick?
4. Matt Barkley: The former USC QB was the early favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in this year’s draft until a disappointing senior season. Who will take a chance on the accomplished passer?
5. Eddie Lacy: Will Lacy be the first running back off the board? Or will a running back not even be taken in the first round?
** FOXSports.com has several sources for NFL Draft information.
1. Brian Billick breaks down every team with his Draft Needs series, separated by division:
3. Are you a degenerate gambler? Laces Out has you covered as we present our gambling guide to the NFL Draft.
4. Big surprise here: The NFL Draft is flush with prospects from the SEC. FOX Sports South delves into the issue.
5. Many people have Luke Joeckel going as the No. 1 pick to the Kansas City Chiefs? Can you even pick Joeckel out of a lineup?
6. Have you thought about the 2014 draft yet? One famed QB coach says UCLA’s Brett Hundley would have been a top pick … this year.
9. Speaking of talent, Alex Marvez says NFL teams are relying more and more on analytics to scout prospects.
10. Alex Marvez wonders whether former players are sending mixed messages by announcing picks at the NFL Draft. He also realizes that in the Internet age, it’s impossible to find true “sleeper” picks.
11. The NFL will definitely beef up security during the NFL Draft, in light of the Boston bombings. Also, there will be a movie filming during Thursday’s first round.
13. Did you laugh at this year’s low Wonderlic scores? Well, Engel says colleges should shoulder the blame for this. Aren’t these guys supposed to be getting an education?
15. Need the draft order? Follow along when the action starts, check out our tracker.