Player Grades: New Orleans Pelicans lose in double-overtime to the Memphis Grizzlies
The New Orleans Pelicans lost in a double-overtime thriller that should’ve been put away at the end of regulation, but was extended due to big plays from Memphis Grizzlies’ Marc Gasol, Tony Allen and Troy Daniels.
The New Orleans Pelicans held three point leads with less than a minute to go twice Monday night.
Neither ended up holding and the Pelicans ran out of gas in double overtime to the Memphis Grizzlies 110-108.
It’s the third straight loss for New Orleans, who left the Smoothie King Center gassed and disappointed that 58 minutes of basketball did not end with a victory.
The New Orleans Pelicans continue to struggle hitting open shots, making layups at the rim, rebounding and getting set into their plays. The Pels also failed to execute the offense effectively multiple times down the stretch.
Players lined up on the wrong side of the court that stagnated ball movement and often letting the ball not touch Anthony Davis‘ hands down the stretch. Too many mistakes cost New Orleans what could have been an easy W.
With Jrue Holiday and E’Twaun Moore sitting out due to minor injuries, the surely missed their veteran presence on the court. It is easy understand the frustration that Coach Alvin Gentry and his staff have at this moment.
In order for Solo to get better in this system, he has to keep shooting. He didn’t shoot well tonight going 2-6 from the field. The potential is there for him be the team’s “Three-and-D” small forward for the future. But, in all honesty, he’s better off at the small-ball four.
This team still has needs to be filled and assumptions that can be drawn. They are the following:
- This game made you appreciate the return of Jrue Holiday even more.
- Dell has to look into acquiring an athletic big next to AD.
- Should the scheme be tweaked a bit?
The New Orleans Pelicans will get a chance at a motivational win Thursday night at home against the Philadelphia 76ers. Tip is scheduled for 7:00 PM CST.
More from Pelican Debrief
- Anthony Davis had his body and mind challenged by the Oklahoma City Thunder last night15h ago
- Game Preview: New Orleans Pelicans face injured Memphis Grizzlies on short rest22h ago
- Player Grades: New Orleans Pelicans’ Struggles Continue in Loss to Oklahoma City Thunder1 d ago
- Game Preview: New Orleans Pelicans travel to take on Oklahoma City Thunder1 d ago
- Player Grades: New Orleans Pelicans Fall Short Against Los Angeles Clippers3d ago