Phoenix Looks to Even Season Series with Memphis
Phoenix Suns (16-36) v Memphis Grizzlies (32-22)
Wednesday 2/8/2017 5pm
FedExForum, Memphis , TN
Fox Sports Arizona/Arizona Sports 98.7FM
Season Series – Memphis leads 1-0
All-Time Series – Phoenix leads 50-29
Last Matchup – January 30, 2017 Memphis won 115-96
Suns’ Last Game – Loss to the New Orleans Pelicans 106-111
Grizzlies’ Last Game –Win against the San Antonio Spurs 89-74
Suns’ Scoring Averages – PTS/G: 106.6 (11th of 30) Opp PTS/G: 112.6 (29th of 30)
Grizzlies’ Scoring Averages – PTS/G: 100.5 (26th of 30) Opp PTS/G: 99.3 (3rd of 30)
After a tough blowout loss to the Milwaukee Bucks, the Phoenix Suns failed to capitalize in the final moments of play against the New Orleans Pelicans. The Suns led the game 103-102, with a minute remaining, but allowed the Pelicans to score nine points late down the stretch. Phoenix was unable to sLow the recently hot Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday as the tandem scored 64 points and grabbed 18 rebounds combined. To make matters worse, Devin Booker shot a mere 25% from the field and scored only 14 points – which ended his 20-point scoring streak at 16 games. Phoenix’s bench was the bright spot for the team as they outscored the Pelicans’ bench 41-22.
More from Valley of the Suns
As NBA All-Star weekend quickly approaches, Phoenix Suns fans are worried that their favorite players might be traded. Almost every name on the Suns’ roster, besides Devin Booker, seems to be in a number of trading rumors. These rumors might be taking an effect on the team, as the Suns have only won a single game in their past eight games.
In their previous matchup against Memphis, the Suns had trouble stopping Mike Conley, as he scored 38 points and added six rebounds and nine assists. Eric Bledsoe also had a problem with his scoring, as he scored only 14 points but shot 3-for-11 from the field and only 7-for-11 from the free-throw line. The point guard matchup between Bledsoe and Conley is where the game will be won between these teams. Conley won their last Head-to-Head battle as the Grizzlies came up on top.
3 Important Stats
- The last time Devin Booker shot less than 30% from the field, he scored 27 points the next game – this was the first game in his historic consecutive games of 20-points run.
- Phoenix’s defense has allowed 100+ points in 15 consecutive games, but Memphis has one of the worst scoring teams in the NBA barely averaging 100 points per game on the season.
- The Suns are 27th worst in the league in Opponent Field Goal Percentage, as they allow their opponents to shoot 47.7% from the field.
- In their last matchup, the Grizzlies shot 16-28 (57.1%) from the three-point line, but they only average 35.2% on the year.
- Mike Conley is averaging a career best 19.0 points per game and 2.3 three-pointers made per game, but his play did not get him into the NBA All-Star Game.
- As a sixth man, Zach Randolph is third in the league in scoring and first in rebounding from all players coming off the bench averaging 14.2 points per game and 8.2 rebounds per game.