Over and Back: The ABA’s first shots at the NBA
We discuss the formation of the ABA in 1967 and how it battled with the NBA for talent and in the courtroom in the late 1960s in the latest edition of Over and Back’s Basketball Mysteries of the 1970s.
Jason Mann is once again joined by Reinis Lacis (@lamarmatic) of The Handle Podcast to talk about how the ABA first got together, how the immediate goal was a merger with the NBA, George Mikan’s role in giving the league credibility, the establishment of the 3-pointer and red, white and blue ball, the league finding talent through banned players like Connie Hawkins, and how the ABA found it hard to entice NBA players to jump leagues.
Read More: Why didn’t Pistol Pete Maravich ever win?
They also discuss Rick Barry becoming the first major NBA star to jump over, the ABA filing an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA, Hawkins moving on to the NBA, Dave Bing and Lou Hudson signing with the ABA but running into legal entanglements, how the ABA and NBA did in luring college stars in the late 1960s, and the initial merger talks between the two leagues.
- Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast Archives: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/overandbacknba
- Subscribe to Over and Back on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/over-back-classic-nba-podcast/id1027430078?mt=2
- Subscribe to the HPBasketball Network on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hpbasketball-network/id704524894?mt=2
- Subscribe to Over and Back on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/over-and-back-classic-nba-basketball
- Follow Over and Back on Twitter: @OverAndBackNBA
- Follow Jason Mann on Twitter: @JasonMannOhioan
- Follow Rich Kraetsch on Twitter: @richkraetsch
Thanks for listening, downloading, subscribing, and supporting!
More from FanSided
- Nylon Calculus: Damian Lillard is thriving with a balanced game9m ago
- NFL Week 10: Announcer pairings24m ago
- The New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings game got really weird56m ago
- Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth will call their first ever Cleveland Browns game1 h ago
- Supergirl: Is the new Luthor twist too much like Smallville?1 h ago