Report: ‘Melo ‘very likely’ to shut it down after All-Star Game
The New York Knicks’ tumultuous season looks like it might be taking another hit.
Carmelo Anthony told ESPN Radio on Thursday that once the All-Star Game is over, it’s "very likely" he will sit out the rest of the season to deal with his troublesome knee. Per ESPN.com:
Anthony, who was named to his eighth All-Star Game, is averaging 24.2 points, 6.6 rebounds and 3.1 assists this season for the Knicks, who have stumbled to a 10-43 record.
Anthony signed a five-year, $124 million contract last summer, the first major offseason signing by new team president Phil Jackson. But Jackson’s plan hasn’t gone smoothly this season as the Knicks have suffered through the worst start in franchise history.
Anthony’s performance this season hasn’t helped. His numbers are down virtually across the board from last season, which could be attributed to his injury woes.
Anthony, who has missed 13 games this season due to various injuries, has been contemplating surgery weeks before the All-Star Game.
"Now is the time to really start taking into consideration about fixing it and when to take care of it," Anthony said earlier this month. "Don’t wait long. Should I get it done now or afterwards? I’m still trying to come to a decision.
"If I have it done now, I will for sure be back for camp. I will be back way before camp. If I have to calculate — I am not the doctor — I would say if I get it done now, two months until I am back on the court. But this is something I would take slowly and not try to rush. But from what I am hearing, if I was to get it done sooner than later, then I will be back to my kind of regular working out schedule in the summertime."