Reports: Knicks’ Anthony could opt for shutdown, surgery on knee
New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony missed Friday’s loss to the Detroit Pistons, and head coach Derek Fisher hinted that the star’s absence could become an extended one.
Anthony has been bothered by a sore left knee since the second game of the season, and the possibility of a shutdown or even season-ending surgery is looming.
"Everybody involved is reasonable enough and smart enough as people in this business to come together on that if that time comes," Fisher told the New York Daily News. "From the conversations I’ve been a part of, I think everybody is smart enough to realize, calendar-wise, timing-wise, that there may come a point that’s the decision that needs to be made, but that we can’t force Carmelo to that point just yet."
Anthony says surgery is a last resort and that he plans to play as long as the condition allows, according to ESPN.
"Our medical staff, our training staff, continue to have conversations with him about where he is," Fisher told ESPN. "He’s conversing with us about how he’s feeling, what the symptoms are. And so as each day kind of unfolds, decisions are being made. It’s not something that we’re just kind of stepping back and saying, ‘Carmelo, you kind of tell us when you don’t feel like playing anymore.’"
The Knicks, losers of 10 consecutive games, are 5-30 on the season. And their injury woes aren’t limited to Anthony: Amar’e Stoudemire, Samuel Dalembert, Tim Hardaway Jr., Andrea Bargnani and Iman Shumpert all have been sidelined for parts of the season.
But despite the nightmare season, Anthony said earlier this week that Fisher is keeping the Knicks together.
Anthony, who leads the Knicks with a 23.9 points-per-game average, signed a five-year, $124 million contract extension this past summer.