New Orleans Pelicans Sign Free Agent Guard Lance Stephenson
After working him out in late July, the New Orleans Pelicans have now signed free agent guard Lance Stephenson.
Free agent Lance Stephenson has agreed to a deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league source tells The Vertical.
— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) September 9, 2016
Lance Stephenson played for the Memphis Grizzlies last year, averaging 8.3 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. He is well known for his time in Indiana, helping the Pacers make playoff runs in 2013 and 2014.
In a way, Lance’s game compares very similar to Tyreke Evans. Stephenson loves to drive to the basket and penetrate the defense. He can score inside and has an outside game, even if it’s not a strong suit. However, he’s also known for his behavior on the court to antagonize his opponents.
- 9/9 – New Orleans Pelicans Sign Free Agent Guard Lance Stephenson
- 9/9 – Pictures of Pelicans History: Hornets relocate to New Orleans
- 9/8 – Anthony Davis healthy and without restriction to start regular season
- 9/8 – Pictures of Pelicans History: Anthony Davis Hits Buzzer Beater over the Boston Celtics
- 9/8 – Pictures of Pelicans History: New Orleans Pelicans win the lottery
This moves by Dell Demps looks to be going after an opportunity and some early season depth. While Stephenson has not had a great effect on his teams of late, he has the capability to be a difference maker. It’s possible he can be a starting shooting guard that plays great defense and runs the floor. His past teams have not ran much transition offense, yet he has the athleticism to pull it off.
However, he may not even make the roster. The Pelicans’ flexibility will be shown with Lance. Training camp will come and he’ll compete against the likes of E’Twaun Moore, Langston Galloway and Tim Frazier. If he does not prove his worth on the roster, the Pelicans can cut him. New Orleans has quite a bit of depth this season.
Still, grabbing Lance as a possibility does not hurt the Pelicans. He’s another guy who can bring tough, competitive spirit to the team. If he makes the roster, he could be a difference maker or depth help at shooting guard. In the case he does not make the roster, the Pelicans can still move forward.
It’s a no risk, possible reward play.
The New Orleans Pelicans signing Lance Stephenson is a chance for the team to get a player on a low-risk deal to help shore up depth issues. It would be best for fans to temper expectations, as he may not even make the roster. Still, bringing in a guy who made a huge difference just a few years back is a chance for the Pelicans to steal a key role player and help progress them further along.
More from Pelican Debrief
- Pictures of Pelicans History: Hornets relocate to New Orleans10h ago
- Anthony Davis healthy and without restriction to start regular season1 d ago
- Pictures of Pelicans History: Anthony Davis Hits Buzzer Beater over the Boston Celtics1 d ago
- Pictures of Pelicans History: New Orleans Pelicans win the lottery1 d ago
- Pictures of Pelicans History: Chris Paul Breaks Steals Record2d ago