Game Day: Houston Rockets seek consecutive wins vs Spurs
Houston Rockets gutted out a victory over the San Antonio Spurs and look to make it two in a row this time on their home court.
The Houston Rockets are finally back home after an exhausting 5-game road trip. Generally the first game back from a long road trip is one teams tend to have a let down. It’s not an intentional drop in play, more of a natural instinct for the players to relax coming back home. I’ve been asked about this phenomenon over the years and the closest analogy I can provide is when you return from vacation. How many times have you traveled for business or vacation only to say I need a couple days to recover? In essence that’s what players go through returning home.
That said the Rockets will buoyed from what was a huge win in San Antonio on Wednesday evening. Once more James Harden was at his best dishing assists, but along with that came more turnovers. While many are cringing over those turnovers it’s important to have some patience with Harden as he adjusts to being a full time point guard.
With that, SCS offers the Game Day Countdown:
Round 1: Dejounte Murray (29)
Round 2: N/A
- Bryn Forbes : given a guaranteed contract beyond Summer League
- Pau Gasol 2-years $30M
- Olivier Hanlan (trade exchange from Jazz for Diaw)
- Dewayne Dedmon on 2-year $6M deal, exits Orlando
- David Lee on 2-year $3.2M deal exits Dallas
- David West veteran minimum contract of 1 year at $1.3M to Warriors
- Boris Diaw (traded to Jazz)
- Boban Marjanovic 3-years $21M offer sheet (Spurs will not match)
- Tim Duncan Exorcised Option – Since then has retired
- Manu Ginobili 1 year, $14M
- Ryan Arcidiacono, No terms provided
- Davis Bertans No terms provided
Houston Rockets Starting 5:
(stats from 2015-16)
San Antonio Spurs Starting 5:
Point Guard: Patty Mills 8.5 points, 2.8 assists, 2.0 rebounds ()
Shooting Guard: Danny Green – 7.2 points, 1.8 assists, 3.8 rebounds
Small Forward: Kawhi Leonard – 21.1 points, 2.6 assists, 6.8 rebounds
Power Forward: LaMarcus Aldridge – 18 points, 1.5 assists, 8.5 rebounds
Center: Pau Gasol – 16.5 points, 4.1 assists, 11 rebounds
- Mills replaces Parker who is out injured
- Green made his season debut versus the Rockets on Wednesday
Houston Rockets Bench:
- Eric Gordon – 15.2 points, 2.7 assists, 2.2 rebounds Media Day
- Tyler Ennis – 2016 Ennis preview
- Bobby Brown – Rockets announce 15 man roster
- Nene Hilario – 2016 SCS Nene Preview
- Montrezl Harrell – 2016 SCS Harrell Preview
- Chinanu Onuaku – Analyzing the Rockets 37th pick
Guards: Manu Ginobili, Dejounte Murray
Wings: Kyle Anderson, Jonathan Simmons, Nicolas Laprovittola, Davis Bertans, Bryn Forbes
Bigs:Dewayne Dedmon, David Lee
- Patrick Beverley – rotoworld reports Beverley is ahead of schedule following the knee scope and anticipates a mid November return. Targeting November 21.
San Antonio Spurs:
- Tony Parker – knee, will not play
- Danny Green who has missed several games with an injured quadricep is slated to play on Wednesday
Toyota Center, Houston, TX
Radio and Television Providers:
In Houston and Area: Root Sports
Worldwide: NBA League Pass
Radio: 790 AM
Game Time: 7:00 PM CT and 8:00 PM EST
Fight the fatigue: As mentioned the first game back from a long road trip most players have a hard time finding their game flow and fighting fatigue. Look for D’Antoni to utilize his bench extensively to help in this regard.
Limit Kawhi: The Rockets did a good job the other night of keeping Kawhi in check. They’ll need to replicate that effort tonight.
Bench Warriors: Both teams feature plenty of youthful talent. Last time out K.J. McDaniels played just 5 minutes, so hopefully D’Antoni will utilize him more in this outing. It would be great to see Eric Gordon, McDaniels, Dekker and potentially Harrell begin to develop a chemistry and there’s no better time to start then on their home court after a road trip.
More from Space City Scoop
- Daily Rockets Science: Bold Statements1 d ago
- NBA 2016-17 Team Preview – Milwaukee Bucks: No ‘KIDD’ing2d ago
- NBA 2016-17 Team Preview – Indiana Pacers: Keeping Pace2d ago
- NBA 2016-17 Team Preview – Detroit Pistons: Drummond’s Bad Boys2d ago
- NBA 2016-17 Team Preview – Chicago Bulls: Home Town Hero Returns2d ago
Match Spurs effort: San Antonio is in an unusual position having lost 3 games in the past week (Jazz, Clippers, Rockets). Knowing how consistent the Spurs are you can expect Popovich to have them dialed in to even the score (just like they did versus the Jazz last week). The key will be to maintain focus, energy and a consistent effort defensively.
For more details on the squads check out the 2016-17 team previews:
Want your voice heard? Join the Space City Scoop team!
Enjoy the season Red Nation and be sure to stay connected with Space City Scoop as our amazing team of writers keep you abreast of all things Houston Rockets.