DURHAM, N.C. — The assault and battery case involving Charlotte Hornets rookie guard P.J. Hairston has been rescheduled for September.
Hairston was due to appear in Durham County court Friday on a misdemeanor charge of assault and battery following an altercation with a high school basketball player during a pickup game last month. Police had issued a summons for Hairston but did not arrest him.
Bill Thomas, one of Hairston’s lawyers, says Hairston had a waiver to miss Friday’s appearance. He says the next appearance is scheduled for Sept. 12, though that could ultimately be pushed back to Oct. 3.
Article continues below ...
Kentrell Barkley, a senior at Northern Durham High School, said in court documents Hairston "punched him twice in the head" during a heated basketball game at the Durham YMCA.