Ainge isn’t sure how Sullinger, Zeller contract extensions will work out
The Boston Celtics have until Oct. 31 to reach agreements with Jared Sullinger and Tyler Zeller on a contract extension.
So far, the dialogue between both sides has been whisper quiet. But October is typically the month when talks heat up. Here's what Celtics President Danny Ainge had to say when recently asked for an update, per The Boston Globe:
Zeller's situation is a bit different from Sullinger's. Boston should have an easier time finding some middle ground with their incumbent starting center, a 25-year-old who's likely topped out in production value.
The Milwaukee Bucks signed John Henson to a four-year, $44 million deal over the weekend, setting the market for backup centers at a fair price that the Celtics and Zeller should consider.
But Sullinger is a different animal. He may be on the verge of a career year, and next summer's rising salary cap will create an opportunity for Sullinger to earn far more money than the Celtics are willing to offer right now.
Only 23 and in the best shape of his life, Sullinger has untapped potential the rest of the league has yet to witness. He'd be wise to bet on himself and hit restricted free agency in 2016.
Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he will continue to have contract extension discussions with the agents for forwards Tyler Zeller and Jared Sullinger, but he added “there’s nothing imminent.” Both players are eligible for extensions prior to the Oct. 31 deadline. “I’m not sure how that’s all going to work out,” Ainge said. “But we’ll continue to talk throughout this month.”