Hawks’ Sefolosha reportedly considering suing NYPD for $50 million

After having his day in court, Thabo Sefolosha is prepared to sue the NYPD.
Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Atlanta Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha was recently acquitted of any criminal charges stemming from his arrest by the New York Police Department outside of a night club in Manhattan. Now, the Atlanta Hawks wing, who suffered a broken leg in the incident with the NYPD, is reportedly considering suing the city of New York and eight police officers for up to $50 million.

Sefolosha claims he suffered "permanent" injuries that caused him to "become substantially disabled," according to the New York Post,

The physical “damages are permanent in nature and continuing into the future,” according to the notice of claim filed with the city’s comptroller.

Sefolosha, a 10-year NBA veteran who joined Atlanta before the 2014-15 season, returned to play for the Hawks for the first time since April last week. The 6-foot-7 guard-forward from Switzerland had a big dunk in Sunday’s game, something Sefolosha’s lawyer alluded to when he said, "Unfortunately, he may not be dunking as much as he was before this happened."

Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on Wednesday that Sefolosha had not yet decided whether or not he was going to sue the NYPD and the city, but that the claim was made in case he decides on that course of action:

Sefolosha was at a Manhattan club where fellow NBA player was stabbed on April 8. Prosecutors said he disobeyed police orders to clear the area. Sefolosha and former teammate Pero Antic, who was also on the scene, claim Sefolosha was giving money to a homeless person when officers grabbed him. Sefolosha said his leg was broken in the ensuing struggle, causing him to miss the playoffs.

MORE NEWS: Want stories delivered to you? Sign up for our NBA newsletters.