Investigation into Kurt Busch’s alleged assault of ex-girlfriend continues
A spokesman for the Delaware Attorney General’s office told FOXSports.com Friday afternoon that authorities are continuing to investigate allegations that former NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Kurt Busch assaulted ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll last fall during the race weekend at Dover International Speedway.
Driscoll went to police last Nov. 5 — 80 days ago — alleging that Busch slammed her head into the wall of his motorhome three times during an argument. Busch has emphatically denied assaulting Driscoll.
The investigation into the alleged assault is being conducted to determine whether or not Busch will face criminal charges.
Carl Kanefsky, a spokesman for the state Attorney General, told FOXSports.com that "the investigation is continuing and there is no timetable" for its conclusion. Kanefsky also said no decision has been made about charging or not charging Busch.
Earlier, in a Delaware family court, Driscoll sought a court order seeking no contact from Busch. That case has not yet been ruled on, but is expected to be within the next two weeks.
During the four-day hearing on the request for the order, Motor Racing Outreach chaplain Nick Terry testified that Driscoll showed up crying at his motor home on the night of the alleged assault and told him that Busch had grabbed her by the neck and pushed her against the wall.
But he said Driscoll never told him, as she has testified and told Dover police, that Busch slammed her head into the wall three times. Terry said he and his wife did not notice any marks on Driscoll. "I’m certain I didn’t see anything," he said.
Richard Andrew Sniffen, a Christian music minister who befriended Busch and Driscoll, said Driscoll told him on the night of the alleged assault only that Busch had pushed her and that she hit her head. Sniffen said Driscoll was upset, angry and brokenhearted, but that she never said she was afraid of Busch and seemed intent on reconciling.
That attitude shifted in the weeks that followed, Sniffen said, with Driscoll going "from a broken heart looking for love and reconciliation to anger and a little bit of revenge."
"I will destroy him," Sniffen said Driscoll told him, adding that she repeatedly said she would take Busch down.
Busch, meanwhile, testified that Driscoll was a trained assassin and mercenary who showed Busch cell phone pictures of people she had killed. Driscoll is the owner and CEO of Frontline Defense Systems, a "customized services company specifically designed to support the U.S. Govt. and commercial companies engaged in the Global War on Terror."
Afterwards, Driscoll issued the following statement:
"Over the past 7 years, I have worked on a movie script with producers about a female CIA operative and her work on classified missions for the U.S. The script was bought by a couple different production companies. Over the years, many people have heard the many variations the script has taken each time it was purchased by another studio. Mr. Busch has seen and given commentary to me on the latest script because some of the stories he told on the stand are straight from the script.
"Mr. Busch’s statements in court serve to confirm my belief that he needs professional counseling to deal with his alcoholism and issues of depression. Since day one, I have stood by my statements that my motive was not greed but in fact concern for the man I loved. I have previously shared my concerns for Mr. Busch’s mental state since the onset of this case only to be dismissed by his legal team.
"Perhaps now his family and those around him recognize his fragile state and will provide him the mental health care and support he needs. He clearly believes fiction is reality and that’s all the more reason he needs help."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.