Former track owners abandon NASCAR lawsuit

The former owners of Kentucky Speedway are done fighting with

NASCAR.

The group announced Friday that it will not exercise any

remaining legal options in its four-year battle against NASCAR and

International Speedway Corp.

Last week a federal appeals court rejected claims by the

former owners that NASCAR and ISC violated federal antitrust laws

by working with other tracks to keep the 1.5-mile tri-oval in

northern Kentucky from getting a coveted Sprint Cup race.

Former owner Jerry Carroll said while his group still

believes in the merits of the case, it was time to move on.

The owners sold the track to Speedway Motorsports Inc., last

year. SMI owner Bruton Smith said he’s hopeful that with the case

resolved he can bring a Cup race to the track in 2011.