The Latest: IndyCar race quickly back under red flag

IndyCar drivers sit on pit road as the race is red flagged due to rain during the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park, Sunday, April 22, 2018, in Birmingham, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) The Latest on the Indy Grand Prix of Alabama (all times local):

4:50 p.m.

The Indy Grand Prix of Alabama has been postponed a day because of heavy rain.

IndyCar officials called the race after a second lengthy rain delay. It will be completed Monday morning with a restart on Lap 23.

The race had been scheduled for 90 laps with a two-hour limit because of the heavy rain that contributed to some spinouts.

Josef Newgarden is still up front after starting on the pole followed by Sebastien Bourdais and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Newgarden and Hunter-Reay are both two-time winners at Barber Motorsports Park.

3:30 p.m.

The Indy Grand Prix of Alabama resumed only briefly after a 37-minute delay because of track conditions.

Race officials put it right back under a second red flag at Barber Motorsports Park minutes after drivers got going again. This time drivers were allowed to get out of their cars to wait it out.

There were standing puddles on portions of the track. Josef Newgarden, who started on the pole, told NBC Sports that cars were hydroplaning even at pace car speed.

”You do that at 150 (mph) and you’re going to have people hitting walls everywhere,” he said.

Zachary Claman De Melo received a two-lap penalty for unapproved work during the first red flag.

The race is being run under a two-hour time limit.

3:07 p.m.

IndyCar has parked the cars at Barber Motorsports Park because of track conditions.

The race was placed under a red flag on lap 19 with steady rains soaking the 2.3-mile, 17-turn road course. It’s being run under a two-hour time limit.

Josef Newgarden started on the pole and stayed up front, seeking his third Indy Grand Prix of Alabama win in four years.

Two-time race winner Will Power, who started in second, spun out on the first turn of lap 17 and slammed into the inside wall. He said on the radio: ”That’s it.”

The red flag came out shortly after that incident. Power was surprised that race officials started it in the first place, saying he ”can’t believe they went green” with that much standing water on the track.

More AP auto racing: